Xmas holidays for PhD students

M

Hi guys, I am starting a PhD this year and I would like to go on a 2 week journey abroad over Christmas holidays; as PhD students, how many days off are we supposed to get at Christmas? I am too afraid to ask my tutor now that I havent even started; I would like to know whether someone have done that before, is that asking too much or is quite common to get back in the new year, and not immediately after Christmas? best of luck to everyone, thanks
Annalisa

S

hey there, first of all, good luck with the start of your PhD!

well at some German universities the heating and electricity is turned off for two weeks at christmas/new year in order to save some money. everything is closed and no-one can come in expect with special permits.

haven't heard anything similar in the UK yet. still: in general, if you are unfunded, I'd say you come and go as you wish. one of my first-year friends last year came back as late as 20th January! even if you are fully funded (check your funding contract for details!), unless there are some critical experiments going on at the time, no-one will expect you to be in before the new year!

T

Research Council-funded students get something like 20 or 24 days holiday a year? Some people take that, some people take way more than that, some people never take a day's holiday in three years! Depends if you have experiments, how fast you are at working, or how panicked you get I suppose...

F

I'm on a University studentship and have six weeks paid holidays per year plus public holidays that can be taken seperately, consecutively or whatever.... I think that works out as 30 days... just checked and that's confirmed in the handbook I've been given every year at enrolment so maybe there'll be something in yours if you have something similar?

S

Your uni will probably be shut for a week after Xmas so you won't be able to come in as all the staff will be off until after New Year

M

Thank you all guys!!! that is exactly what I expected to hear from you..good luck to you all
annalisa

L

I am going back to Italy from 22nd December to 5th January. Enjoy your holidays....your supevisor will do the same!