Your opinion about the contents and length of a "short report"....

One of my supervisors who has been neglecting me for a while now, has suddenly asked me to write a "short report" to see the update on my progress. How short do you think a short report can be, and can I consider it as an informal document? (Please don't say things like "ask your supervisor".) Thank you.

S

Not sure, but the term "report" would lead me to think that this needs to written in full academic prose. Presumably it will be an overview of what you've done, found out and where the project is going next. But I haven't got the PhD experience to offer solid advice.

you might be right sylvester. I guess I was trying to beleive that it wouldn't have to be so formal. Because I don't really have time to write it (I'll make time of course) and the request sounds so urgent as he is going on holiday soon, I got a little angry with it.

H

404, It sounds like an easy way for your supervisor to get up to date with what you have been doing. For your own benefit I would make it as comprehensive as you can. Even go as far as to call it a "discussion document" or something, to perhaps encourage feedback and show this is very much a work in progress...informal but formal if you get me! Good luck and glad to here the supervisor is getting involved!

Thank you very much hillyg, what a positive reply. I think you are right and it is a great idea to encourage feedback. I know he is busy but I have quite a lot going on with my PhD that he is not even aware of. I will start writing and include as much as possible. I should be happy that he is showing interest again. Thank you again.

H

404...no problem at all. Am having a positive day today! As you know the PhD is a series of highs and lows. Chapter due in on Thurs so I know how you feel!

A

No harm in asking him to clarify exactly what he wants from the report. Good luck.

Thanks Ann. The only harm is, he won't be able to reply until next week (he will come to work briefly next week and then leave to continue with his holiday until the begining of September). I don't want to waste this week by waiting to hear from him hoping that he would check his emails (because I've already sent a question to him before I wrote to the forum and the only thing I received is his out of office message). I'd like to have the report done by next week for when he returns to his office for a short period of time.