Back from the first PhD interview

D

Just back from the interview with three professors. The interview lasted around 30 minutes. The professors took turns to ask me questions about my project. I think most of the questions were not difficult. But I was so nervous that I did not answer them well because my brain did not function at all. Sigh!

I did prepare a lot before the interview but eventually my performance was not as good as I thought. During the interview, the professors said my project is interesting and gave me some constructive feedback.They did not say anything wrong about my research methodology except for one thing that the project is too ambitious (because I raised a lot of research questions in the project). So one of the professors asked me to choose one aspect to be the major focus. Although I did try my best to answer their questions, I am still not happy with my performance today. I am so stressed out that I may not be able to get an offer.

That's just a rant.....just want to share my feelings here. Thanks for reading my message.

C

Fingers crossed! It's not always possible to work out how these things have gone, because we focus on every little thing we could have done better, when in fact it's the overall impression that counts. I came out of my PhD interview and said something unprintable about how I thought it had gone, and two days later I got an offer. Worst case scenario is that you've gained valuable experience in interviewing for a PhD.