Discussion after PhD interview

K

Hello,

I had an PhD interview on 3th of March in Kings College London. During an interview I was told that after an interview there is going to be a discussion with supervisor. Discussion is suppose to be like a continue of interview or so. They did not specify what I am expected to do. After an interview I send an email in order to continue the discussion, however now it has been 2 week with no response. Should I send another email or wait? How these discussion usually go?

Another, question. Knowing that I did not received any response, does it mean that they are not interested in me? I was told that they will make an answer 6 weeks after an interview. And that is the problem because I have an offer from Birmingham university and I need to give an answer in the end of this month.(However the project is not very interesting)

P.S PhD in physics

Thanks in advance,

T

Are you sure you understood correctly that the discussion was to be between you and the supervisors, and not between the supervisors about you?

I would send a follow up email since you need to know soon.

K

Quote From TreeofLife:
Are you sure you understood correctly that the discussion was to be between you and the supervisors, and not between the supervisors about you?

Thanks for response, I don't know/remember precisely. However, than should I just say my advantages like what mark I received in 1st semester exams (they don't know)? It seems to me strange just to send email talking about myself without some initial conversation.

H

Quote From kaizeris:
Quote From TreeofLife:

Thanks for response, I don't know/remember precisely. However, than should I just say my advantages like what mark I received in 1st semester exams (they don't know)?

No, I wouldn't do that. You need to contact the interviewers or the administrator again to ask for clarification as to whether you are supposed to initiate a discussion with the supervisor. Perhaps phone them if they do not reply to email.

For clarification - did you apply for a specific project with a specific supervisor, or was it a broader process which might have involved matching you to a supervisor?

K

Quote From HazyJane:
Quote From kaizeris:
Quote From TreeofLife:

Thanks for response, I don't know/remember precisely. However, than should I just say my advantages like what mark I received in 1st semester exams (they don't know)?

No, I wouldn't do that. You need to contact the interviewers or the administrator again to ask for clarification as to whether you are supposed to initiate a discussion with the supervisor. Perhaps phone them if they do not reply to email.

For clarification - did you apply for a specific project with a specific supervisor, or was it a broader process which might have involved matching you to a supervisor?

I applied for a specific project with a specific supervisor. During the interview there was another person (with whom I would be working too) did most of the talking with me. Soo maybe I should contact him?

H

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Just ask whether there is anything you're supposed to do, or whether you should just wait to hear from them.

K

Quote From HazyJane:
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Just ask whether there is anything you're supposed to do, or whether you should just wait to hear from them.

Okey, thanks for suggestion. I will let you know with an answer.

C

This sounds similar to the process I went through. I was interviewed by four people, none of whom was directly connected to the PhD project I was applying for. After the interview, the person who was going to be my supervisor contacted me to arrange a meeting, so that he and I could discuss ideas for the project and check that we could work together.

I would send an email, like others have suggested, asking if there is anything you should do at this stage.

K

Hello,

I have received an answer. Basically, they told me that they did not forget me and suggested to wait because they are still have an interview. However, There is still a problem.

I have an offer from Birmingham, but they want to know an answer in the end of this month. However, I am going to get an answer from Kings college London at best just after 3 weeks. And I would like to get an answer them them, before I do any decision. Do you have any experience with delaying the end date of an answer?

Cheers

T

I've got no experience with it, but if I was in that situation, I would tell Birmingham I will accept it and then tell them sorry I can't take it if the other one came through. I have done this before when I genuinely changed my mind about accepting a job offer.

Alternatively, you could be honest and explain to Birmingham that you are waiting to hear back from elsewhere and ask if you can tell them the decision in another few weeks.

K

Quote From TreeofLife:
I've got no experience with it, but if I was in that situation, I would tell Birmingham I will accept it and then tell them sorry I can't take it if the other one came through. I have done this before when I genuinely changed my mind about accepting a job offer.

Alternatively, you could be honest and explain to Birmingham that you are waiting to hear back from elsewhere and ask if you can tell them the decision in another few weeks.

I was thinking about doing this. But that would be like a S**t thing to do from my side, because probably I would not have this place without my tutor, whom is good friend with a supervisor. But I am going to try to talk with them.

T

Yeah in that you are better off just talking to them. If they really want you they will be happy to wait anyway.