Does anyone have experience with 'PhD by published work.'

S

Hi, I am an American university professor (and journalist) who is trying to find a British university programme where I can earn a "PhD by published work." Do you know anything about this?

T

These type of PhDs are very rare in British universities.

Or maybe not... check out these google search results: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=phd%20by%20published%20work%20uk

Quote From SpiritDoc:
Hi, I am an American university professor (and journalist) who is trying to find a British university programme where I can earn a "PhD by published work." Do you know anything about this?

From memory, "PhD by Published Work" was only available to an alumni or current employee of a British University. The exact wording in the regulations of my former University are:

"Applicants for the award of PhD by Published Work will normally be limited to members of
the University, or its alumni. Individuals with an existing formal academic association with
the University may also seek to apply."

The only exception I've found to this (though there may be others) is the University of Bolton, which outside the UK offers "PhD by Published Work" via New York College.
In the above instance by first class degree or equivalent, you would need a first class degree (pr high GPA scoring degree in the USA) or alternatively a second class degree plus Masters.

Would not a better option be to take a PhD part-time alongside your employment at your current establishment? I'm wondering if any "PhD by Published Work" qualification you might gain might not be readily recognised in the USA.

Alternatively, do you have any strong associations to a UK institution?

Ian

M

A PhD by Published Works is available to non alums through several UK universities as well as Australian and NZ universities. An incomplete list would include Warwick, Westminster, Bolton, Sunderland, Middlesex, Manchester Metropolitan. There are something like 20 UK universities alone that offer a PhD via this avenue to non alums. This is something I've researched a great deal, I have no clue why people on the net spread so much disinformation.

+ Kent, Winchester...