How to approach a potential PhD supervisor

H

Hello, I have recently completed my masters by research (awaiting grade and feedback) and have found a potential PhD supervisor at a different local uni. I am wondering how it's best to approach them?

I've looked at a few websites and one suggests to send an introductory email to them with an identified specific subject area before sending a PhD proposal to them. Other websites suggest to write the proposal first and send that along with the first email.

Which would you suggest? I am writing the proposal currently.

There is a possibility of RC funding but the deadline is in Jan. The uni requires a proposal to be submitted first, then if the potential PhD student is offered a place they can then apply for funding.

I would be grateful for some advice please, many thanks.

C

Think you might have left it a bit late for entry in 2018 if you are looking for funding. I take it you have not yet found a supervisor who is prepared take on your project, nor have a compete proposal. The supervisor is the key, as s/he will steer you to the right pathway, and the other nitty-gritty of the funding process. If I were you, I'll contact the potential supervisor you've identified, and try to sort something out ASAP.

My experience (I am hoping to start a funded PhD in 2018 as well) is that you can apply for funding without a confirmed offer from the uni. In other words, you can apply for both at the same time, or even apply for funding first, then apply to the uni for a place. You certainly haven't got time to wait for the offer of a place from the uni and hope to meet funding deadlines for 2018, so I'd try to put the application for funding in first, with the help of your potential supervisor, if s/he agrees to take you on and think that you have a decent chance of getting funding.

Good luck with your quest.

H

Thanks, there is the opportunity to apply for RC funding in year two of the PhD.

So one other option could be to start the PhD self-funded, part-time and apply for funding for year two, early when the applications open. Self-funded is around two thousand pounds a year for part-time and I could work on the PhD nearly fulltime hours. With the PhD loan, savings and apply to charities for funding.

J

You are definitely late for 2018 entry as you need funding. I think sourcing funds from charity organization is a good idea, specially if they relate to your subject. Regarding your question, you can always contact the supervisor first discussing the subject you are interested in.

T

Nothing to lose either way. They may get you to tweak the proposal if you send it to them after. You may do a more joint writing process (well, you write a draft, they comment, you work on it again, etc) if you introduce yourself first. Do whichever you feel more comfortable with.

T

Quote From helebon:

So one other option could be to start the PhD self-funded, part-time and apply for funding for year two, early when the applications open. Self-funded is around two thousand pounds a year for part-time and I could work on the PhD nearly fulltime hours. With the PhD loan, savings and apply to charities for funding.

Don't do this, it's almost impossible to get proper funding once you've started a PhD. You need to apply through the conventional routes, even if it means delaying it for a while.

C

BTW, to save time as you are getting very near to the deadline, if you have a near completed proposal, have you consider doing your PhD at your present uni? You are still in contact with most of the academics on your course, and they would know your academic abilities, so references etc would be quicker. It might also be easier and better to try and find a potential supervisor there. After all, you are expected to work closely with your supervisor for the next 3-4 years, and having some knowledge of what they are like would be helpful.

H

Hi, thanks for the replies.

There is funding in my current school for a PhD, however, my masters is cross-discipline and I would prefer to be part of the school of the other subject area.

I've had to think long and hard about this, I could go for the PhD in my current school but I crave for knowledge in the other subject area. I am also unfortunately disappointed with my current school.

I have a passion for the other subject area and feel this passion will help me complete the PhD.