I quit my PhD one year ago and I'm applying for PhD again. How should I do it?

S

I have shortlisted few universities and I need recommendation letters. Back then when I quit PhD, supervisor and I were not in good terms. So, I decided not to ask my supervisor for recommendation. So, I asked my undergraduate professors to give me recommendation and they agreed to do so.

The real problem is when I contact a professor for PhD and tell him that I have a research paper (published with my supervisor back then), will he look into author details? If so, will he contact my supervisor and ask him about me? or, will he only contact my undergraduate professors (with whom I did not do any research)?

The real question is, will he wonder if dishonesty about your recent past reflects you attitude to academic honesty.

S

Thanks for your reply.

You mean to say that its better to tell that I dropped out because of some reason, rather than not mentioning it right?
Will this be okay from that professor perspective? and will it affect my application?

T

Yes it's better to mention it. People talk. How do you know they don't know each other?

It may affect your application, some people care and some don't. I do know one PhD student that dropped out after one year from a very very good uni, and took a job as a technician for 2 years, and then went on to start another PhD, so it is possible.

It will affect your integrity though if you fail to mention it at all because it will see the light of day eventually.

T

The other important point is, what has changed between your previous PhD and this one to make sure you don't drop out again?