Job/PhD Application: Bad A Levels/Good Degree

E

I'm hoping this isn't too long winded but I've posted this on a few other sites and unfortunately had no answers.

I graduated in October 2013 with a 2:1 in Ecology and Conservation from Anglia Ruskin. I'm naming the University as it might be useful.

I haven't done a masters (I'm trying to avoid it if possible) but I have been in the midst of applying for jobs and considering a few PhDs that have peaked my interest. My problem is I had a very bad experience when it came to my A Levels. I ended up with horrific results (DEE) due to being in a traffic accident (long story short a motorbike hit me on a pedestrian crossing... Wasn't pretty.) in the AS year and missing about four months of my AS year. There was a lack of support and communication with my sixth form on their part so when I returned I was stupidly behind and my AS results were not pretty. Then I had the added stress of retaking all my AS levels as well as doing my A2 levels at the same time. But this thread is about blaming others for my failure. Apparently I wasn't entitled to extenuating circumstances so my accident wasn't taken into consideration in any of the marking of my exams or coursework.

Nonetheless I still got accepted into Uni and fortunately had no accidents, and came out with a 2:1, which I'm content with even though when you think in hindsight it's an average degree in terms of the amount of people who get 2:1's. I got 67% overall.

My question is based around my A levels. Do any of you think my grades will have a huge impact of my acceptance into a job or PhD? I mean, for example in a cover letter, would it be worth mentioning why my A Level results were so poor? One of lecturers told me while I was still at Uni just to put what A Levels I did down on my CV, but leave the grade out and if they ask for the results I'll give them to them obviously. But I'm not sure whether that's the right thing to do?

I'm currently working in a microbiology lab at the moment as a Lab Tech but it's not as technical a post as I would want to work in, but experience is experience. There is a PhD in Plant and Insect Ecology/Biology that really interests me in the agricultural sector. The minimum requirement was a 2:1 Bachelor's in a relevant subject, Masters beneficial but not necessary. I just want to know if my A Level results would hinder my chances of any acceptance at a job/PhD and/or what I can do about it.

This is an extremely long post, apologies, I just wanted to explain the whole situation.

T

Hello,

I agree with your lecturer - just put down the A-levels you got, not the grades. They are unlikely to ask you for the grades in your PhD application - they trust that the university you got your degree from has already checked them.

I only had to upload my degree certificates and academic transcript so I know they didn't check my A-level results at all.

The university you attended is strong in your subject so that willl benefit your application, and the fact that you have experience in a lab also adds strength, so I wouldn't worry about your A-level results.

Good luck in applying for PhDs :)

H

Unless an application specifically asks for A levels, I wouldn't bother putting them down. Your degree and work experience are the important things. The A levels merely helped you get there.

Good luck.

Once you've your degree, your A-Levels are a complete irrelevance. List what they are low down on your CV without the grades.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

T

I don't think they are completely irrelevant - I think they can be useful in some cases, for example where a person may not have taken any maths modules during their Biology degree, but now they are applying for a highly mathematical Biology PhD and it may be useful to be able to say they got a A in Maths A-level. The same can be same of an English or Chemistry A-level etc.

Tree of Life,

I understand what you are saying, however, in any technical degree the maths and statistics the candidate will need to know will be looked at during the degree, possibly as a first year refresher and either compulsory or optional. I was given a refresher of statistical and mathematical methods at undergrad level.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Hi,
This is slightly spooky as I was also in a serious RTA and as a result didn't do too well on my GCSEs, took a year out, then only got CDD for my A-Levels. (I still have back problems to this day unfortunately - we were T-boned by a car, the driver completely failed to give way at a junction!)

I went on to get a 2:1 from a poly, an MSc from another poly, and now finishing a fully funded PhD at a top 5 University...

So it IS possible! It might be beneficial for you to do an MSc though, I know my Uni probably wouldn't have accepted me without that.

R

S

Dear Emalevolence,

When I read your opening line, I thought "must reply" then realised how many replies you'd already got.

I would agree with most of what others have written. I would add that you shouldn't look at it as "I only got these grades..." but "I got three A levels". But yes, largely irrelevant now if your first degree subject is directly relevant to your proposed PhD speciality, as you have what is regarded as a good bachelors degree.

So just put the subjects down. If they ask you about it at interview, you can explain it to your captive audience then. But they won't. Generally, it's never wise to draw attention to something on a job/PhD application that doesn't improve it. As the old addage goes: "Never give someone enough rope to hang you with".