Open University

P

Quote From Trilla:

What evidence have you got to support PhDs at the OU,

Our argument is that there is no difference between PhDs at the OU and elsewhere. You are asking us to prove a negative.
You have claimed there IS a difference and that it matters where you gain your qualification. I think the onus is on you to provide evidence of what this difference is: preferably evidence which doesn't not involve the sale either of cars or assorted citrus fruits :-D

In my long career, I have worked with literally thousands of people in more than 10 different companies across the UK (some of which were the amongst the biggest in the world and some with only a couple of employees) and I can assure you that I have found absolutely no correlation whatsoever between the technical ability of someone and the university they went to.

B

Well, I didn't realise my original post would create such a storm!

I have been advised by a post-Doc lecturer at a "top University" to seek out a supervisor who has been widely published and with many years experience.

It just so happens that I have found such a person, a Professor with 40 years experience and who has excelled in his academic career which includes Oxford and Cambrige, Yale and Harvard - now he is at the OU.

Which I believe proves that there is nothing wrong with the OU if it can attract someone of the above calibre?

N