PhD In Another Subject (Biotechnology) From Undergrad. Degree (Bioinformatics )

P

hey friends ..plz help me out in taking right decision for my career..
I have pursued Bachelors as well masters in bioinformatics.
but now i want to do phd in Biotechnology to get more experience in wetlab releted studies
with insilico analysis. I think it may be rewarding to do something slightly doin different different as also i
will gaining much experience in wetlab ..Good quality in silico analyses mingled with wetlab procedures can be a key factor for successful experiments...day by day availability of high-throughput technologies in molecular biology has created a huge gap between the production of data and its exploitation for basic and applied research..so we fullfill such gaps ..

so can i go with this decision is it really appropriate?

..please share ur views

Thanks a lot

priyankaa

S

hi priyanka
If I am not mistaken you want to change field from bioinformatics to biotech.
Sorry for my ignorance, but is it like this---
Bioinformatics is working outside a lab--and the biotech work that you want to do is working inside a lab.

The thing I would consider, if I were you, is do I have sufficient background to carry out the wetlab procedures--how challenging would it be for me--how quick can I learn--because molecular techniques do take some time to perfect--and you need to optimize your protocol etc.

You dont want to do a phd--and be struggling having to learn stuff that your other phd-friends already know--because they did this for bachelor or masters. The good part is--if you SUCCEED, then ok. But if you get stuck, it can be very difficult. An example of getting stuck is doing experiment without getting any result.

I had a friend who did a masters in computer field, but she was not from computer science, and she struggled a lot. She was really miserable.

Another thing I would seriously think about--which NOBODY told me when I started my crazy academic journey--is that once you have DIFFERENT qualifications--employment is very very very difficult. You must remember also--how much biotech you will do in your phd--and when you compete for jobs, there will be people with Biotech stuff and Biotech experience ever since the first day they stepped into university, from bachelor degree etc.etc.--and very often, THEY will get the job, not someone with a phd in biotech but bachelor degree in another area.

I have learnt this lesson very very very very well by now :-)

By that time, you will find that it is too late to go back to Bioinformatics.

Think very carefully, and choose well.
love satchi

P

heyy thanks a lot dear ..yeah ..i have gained experience of wetlab ,gene sequencing ,proteomics study etc for 6 months during my masters internship ..so i have that handling skills of wetlab procedure as well ...sorry i did not mention about my internship in previous message ..presently i am involved in international project which consists of both wetlab ands insilico data anallysisss.. so i guess for lab experiments handling we should first acquire skills for it it may be wet laB or insilico ..it is how using this skills we succesfully complete our lab projectss..and in terms of job ..there i guess it matters how much experience u have and how skills u have acquired ..there is a huge demand of researchers having knowlege of both wetlab as well as insilico work..for handling biggers projects ...so wats ur opinion now ?

S

:-) if you are presently involved in the present project with both wetlab and insillico data analysis, then you are definitely in a good position, you are not a freshie to biotech.

My opinion is that it reads like you have almost set your sights on the biotech phd, if your heart is there, go for it.

Whatever you choose to do, don't look back.
The world is well ahead, the world is out there for you.

love satchi