Phd Interview Presentation

E

I have an PhD interview this week and have to talk about my previous research and show my academic cv in 15 minutes.

I have no idea how I should structure this, because I haven't started my masters thesis and I think most of the other applicants will present their master thesis. My bachelor thesis is not really relevant or related to the topic of the phd, so I don't know whether I should talk most of the time about my BA thesis. And how do you typically incorporate the cv? Should I first talk about my bachelor thesis (because its another topic I have to first talk about some basics...) and then about my current work and my future master thesis, and show my cv in the end?

Is it typical to thank my advisors (bachelor thesis and current work) in the end of the presentation?

Thanks for your advice!

D

Personally, I would not put a strong focus on the bachelor thesis. Mention briefly what you did, the methods you may have learned and then talk about transferable experience, like attending research group meetings and discussing your results, insights into how to approach your own project, how to acquire samples/subjects etc... there is always SOMETHING. Your audience will not be too interested in the specifics of your project if it is unrelated.
Then I'd talk about how you progressed during your master's what subjects you chose and how your interests evolved. Anything that drew you to the topic you are applying to. And then I'd talk about the planned thesis. Even if you have not started it yet, you probably have a plan what it's going to be? Talk about the background, what you expect to find, what you expect the difficulties might be. In the end, that not only introduces your research topic but also that you have foresight and planning skills.