PhD students (esp. Psychology) - What is your experience of research/academia so far?

R

Hi!

Firstly, apologies if my title question seems a bit weird/vague. What I really mean is a couple of questions, I suppose:

-What's your PhD topic? (just for interest)
-Where/when did you get the inspiration to "go for it" in terms of research/doing a PhD
-What did you do before starting your PhD (i.e. degrees/masters/research assistanting) and was it helpful/worth it? Additionally, anything you wish you had done, in hindsight?
-How has your Phd lived up to (or not) your dreams?

I'm just trying to gain a sort of general idea of what people feel has prepared them effectively for their own research in psychology.

Rookie

Hello! :) I'm doing a PhD in a health psychology related subject. I'll put my responses below...

Quote From Rookie37:
Hi!

Firstly, apologies if my title question seems a bit weird/vague. What I really mean is a couple of questions, I suppose:

-What's your PhD topic? (just for interest) - Experiences of prognostication and the transition point from active to palliative care in heart failure
-Where/when did you get the inspiration to "go for it" in terms of research/doing a PhD - Seeing friends doing a PhD, enjoying my own research, getting a good mark in my dissertation for both BSc & MSc which made me realise I can 'do' research...! Plus doing a couple of fairly menial jobs to make some money during my studies (shop work and v low level admin) which I hated...
-What did you do before starting your PhD (i.e. degrees/masters/research assistanting) and was it helpful/worth it? Additionally, anything you wish you had done, in hindsight? - BSc Psychology w/ Criminology (BPS accredited), MSc Health Psychology, honorary Assistant Psychologist in secondary care adult mental health, honorary RA in a pain clinic. Assistant post very helpful, I was there for a year and it made me realise how I don't actually want to become a clinical psychologist as the entry requirements were so utterly ridiculous and the clin psychs I saw were all stressed, had to deal with difficult people the vast majority of the time (kinda obvious I know but it's very draining!) and work within very harsh constraints & red tape of the NHS.
-How has your Phd lived up to (or not) your dreams? - I love it, it's a lot of work but it's been a great challenge, I'm lucky to have great supervisors and enjoy the topic.

I'm just trying to gain a sort of general idea of what people feel has prepared them effectively for their own research in psychology.

Rookie

Hope that helps!!
Rachel