PhD with 2.1

C

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. How likely is to get a place for a PhD in one of the top tier universities (Oxford, LSE, Imperial....) with a high 2.1 and a Merit in my master's degree? Bear in mind that the universities that I did my degrees are both really good. thanks

I

Depends on the following:

1) Your reference letters
2) Your research proposal
3) The department you're applying for.

I would say a high 2.1 and a Merit from top universities (top 5) would not inhibit your chances of getting into a top uni if you have a strong research proposal (which means an academic in the department is very keen to work with you) and strong reference letters; I'd put it at 70% roughly. Then again, if you're applying for flagship departments (ex: Economics at LSE, History at Cambridge) then I would say it's unlikely in this day and age with all the competition out there.

What is your subject?

W

You need to talk to them and check out what they are asking for. Some will only look at distinction grade masters irrespective of uni attended. Some want you to have done the Mres or MSc research beforehand. It's all about what they are looking for and tailoring you application to that.

Most postgrad fairs are happening right about now so you'll probably be best going to one of those and talking directly to them.

I'm also not sure it's about the uni you went to either. I have a high 2:1 with the OU and distinction Masters from a good but not Russell group or top 5 uni and got a PhD scholarship at a top university. Sometimes it's about related work experience and what you write on your personal statement too!

good luck

C

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Basically, I am not interested for departments such as Economics at LSE or History. I am looking to do my PhD in Decision Science/ Financial Statistics/ Finance. I would like to do my phd in universities such as LSE, Oxford, Imperial, UCL.. I am not interested to study at Cambridge since I cannot find supervisor who has the same research interests as me and Cambridge considers only applications with a first.

Any idea about European Universities such as Insead (Paris), ETH Zürich, Boccioni (Milan)?

Wowzers, may I ask you in which unit and what subject? Are you currently studying for your PhD?

Thanks a lot.

W

I'm humanities/social science but don't want to give away the University so I can keep my posts private ;-p The best thing you can do is always to speak to them. if you have a supervisor in mind come up witha reaserach idea and contact them about it. Good luck.