preparing for a phd interview in 2 days.

S

I've been given just a couple of days notice about my phd interview and i'm really nervous. I've been told that it will be a relatively informal discussion about my research proposal.
It's the only university I've applied for and I have my heart set on it. I have a string of other deadlines coming up and feel that my position could be jeopardised by the short notice.

does anybody have any advice?
Thanks

T

First of all, congratulations on getting an interview!

I was in the same position as you when I had the interview for my PhD - very short notice and I was very busy with other things.

Whilst they've told you it's a 'relatively informal discussion' (and it may well be), I would prepare for a proper interview. Just read up on the background of the university, department and the potential supervisor's research, as well as the background to your research area. Think about the obvious questions they may ask you: describe yourself in a few words/strengths and weaknesses/difficult times and how you overcame them etc.

I think I also just spent a day or two trying to understand 5 to 10 key papers on my topic and these came in very useful when they asked me specific questions about my research topic.

Smile, be confident, positive and enthusiastic and you'll be fine!

Good luck!