Setting up a meeting with the professor

M

Hello all,

I’m thinking of applying for a PhD position in the Netherlands in applied physics. Before I do that, however, I think it would be a good idea to visit the lab and meet with the professor to see the quality of the lab and get a feel for the work environment. Also, I believe that if they have met me in person beforehand it could increase my chances of being accepted for the position.

Do you guys think it’s appropriate to do this? The PhD students in my previous research group said they thought it was a good idea but I’d like to get a second opinion.

Also, how would I go around asking for a meeting? I’m sure the professor is really busy and I’m afraid I’ll come across as too demanding for a prospective PhD student. Could I just simply state that I am very interested in the PhD position but would like to visit the lab first to make a decision? Or does saying that seem like I don’t know what I want?

I'm a little confused as to what is acceptable etiquette so any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

M

It is important that you visit the lab and get comfortable with the environment before you accept any offer. I made a mistake accepting an offer before visiting the lab or deep investigation on the research quality, and now I am thinking to quit.
You can simply say that you are interested in the PhD, and many professors will ask for a meeting or interview, then you can propose a visit (if he doesn't ask for it).

Good luck

T

You usually see the lab in an interview, so it's like you are checking them out and they are checking you out simultaneously. It would probably seem a bit strange to the prof for someone to ask to see the lab randomly.

If I were you I would just apply for the PhD and state that you would be really keen to see the lab and meet to research group.