Starting to feel a bit worried

J

Hello everyone, I forgot I could still get on here.

My story is that I have just recently got an MSc in Science from the Open University and I have applied to a few places, some are right off rejections, but there is this one Uni I applied to ages ago for a PhD and not heard anything yet. The application closing date is the 15th May.

I also have quite the kick in the teeth as I unfortunately didn't get onto my honours year in my first degree as the uni shut it down, my lecturer from there said I'd get either a 2:1 or a 2:2. But that is no help to me now!

My PhD in more neuroscience but I did that and medicinal chemistry as part of my MSc, and my first degree is Applied Chemistry. How would I fare in neuroscience applications. I got an interesting rejection letter from Liverpool PhD saying I didn't have a lab based MSc ( did a PGCert from a traditional uni, so did my project in a lab). Emailed Liverpool stating this, and not heard back with the proof I did it.

Starting to feel a little anxious now!

H

Lab based PhD supervisors will definitely want you to have lab experience. Unfortunately your email back to Liverpool won't change that outcome, but it's worth remembering in future applications to really highlight every bit of practical experience you have. If you didn't do this for the one with the 15th May closing date, it might be worth asking if you can edit your application accordingly.

If this current tranche of applications doesn't yield anything, you might want to consider applying for research technician or research assistant jobs, to get additional practical experience on your CV. It can also be a way of getting a foot in the door at a particular uni for future PhD applications.

I would also consider getting other people to read your applications to make sure there is a clear 'story' of why you are applying for each particular PhD. It always helps to get other people's perspectives. If I'm honest, I found your description above a bit confusing! You need to sell your expertise to supervisors so they don't query the route you've taken from chemistry to neuroscience.

J

So that's that one out the window then.

That's the thing, I am applying for research technician vacancies AND assistant jobs both voluntary and waged and I am not getting anywhere and I have to endlessly explain why I didn't get the honours degree.

Hence why I am feeling incredibly stuck, I don't really have anyone to check over the CV and application. I do also explain the move from chemistry to neuroscience as it is via the MSc research project and attending loads of seminars and conferences (meetings) in neuroscience.

H

The honours situation is a bit of an odd one. I've never heard of that happening before. Would it be possible to obtain some kind of letter (on uni headed paper) from a tutor or lecturer there to explain the situation? It might have more influence than your explanation alone.

J

Thanks Jane, it is worth a try and I can't help the course being shut down and every phone call from agencies ask what class of degree I have and I then have to explain the situation and not hear back from again.

Thanks again. This may actually be the missing link I need.