Supervisor input for funding proposal. Am I making unrealistic demands?

M

I am currently looking for a University to do my PhD with. I will need to secure funding for this from somewhere and this is turning out to be my major headache.

I had a meeting with a potential supervisor last week and he was interested in taking on the project. I discussed with him my need for funding and asked for any pointers on how to approach this. He wasn't able to give me any advice or direct me to anyone at the university who could help. I then asked if he would at least be prepared to help me tweak my proposal to maximise the chances that it would be successful in any applications for funding I make. He said no, he didn't have the time.

Now, I felt rather deflated after that meeting, but don't know if I have a right to be. Would a supervisor normally help a student formulate a proposal for funding, or was that an unreasonable request? I guess I am thinking that, if he is not prepared to help at this stage, which is the decider of whether or not I can take up their offer, how does this bode for support for the future?

Any thoughts on this gratefully received.

R

*Bump!*

Can anyone help Maus?

M

Thanks Reenie, but it would appear not.

I am choosing to take it as a bad sign and am looking at other supervisors in other universities, but keeping this one open in case nothing comes of that. I left the meeting feeling rather disappointed, and I don't think that is how it should have been.