Supervisor Selection Confusion

D

Hello All,

Recently I have been accepted into a PhD programme to study the effects of genetics on sporting performance. I am very excited by the opportunity, but also confused.

The head of the research department asked if I could research which potential supervisors I would like to work with and then she would arrange a suitable time to meet them. Subsequently I have made a short list of the people with aligned research interests from the university, however as there are only 2 people that I could possibly work with, which the head of research would already know and I am wondering if I need to do more research and if so how.

I am worried that I will appear lazy if I suggest the obvious names and I don't do the appropriate research although I don't know what I could/should be doing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

PS. Originally I applied for a different PhD position within the same organisation which I was unsuccessful for before being told that I was offered a project on an aligned project that has broad scope.

C

It's not always important for both supervisors to have done research that aligns with your own. For example, one of my fellow PhD students has a primary supervisor who shares her research interests, but a second supervisor from a different department (computing, because she also needs that kind of expertise in developing programs for her research). When I had my recent PhD review, a member of staff was invited in to the review because of her knowledge of qualitative research methods, which I want to include in my study, rather than because she was familiar with my topic.

It's difficult to know how many suggestions you're supposed to come up with in your case - maybe the head is just looking for the small shortlist you've got, but if you feel that you're being asked to do a bit more research than that, it might be worth considering other people (especially for second supervisor) who could contribute specific skills or knowledge to supplement the experience of your primary supervisor.

D

Thank you for your advise @chickpea, it is a tricky situation that is made all the more intimidating because I am new to it and want to impress at every opportunity. With your advise in mind I have drafted a letter.

All the potential supervisors have experience working with genetics but not with genetics applied to athletic performance.

If anyone could provide some feedback for me before I send it I'd be very greatful!

Dear Dr. XXX,

As per our telephone conversation, I have researched individuals whose research interests align with my goals for a PhD project from within the XXX. As a result I have identified two people from XXX as possible primary supervisors.
- XXX
- XXX

Additionally, the opportunity to work with XXX from XXX Institute as a possible secondary supervisor is very exciting. His experience in the influence of genetics on complex traits as well as his skills in genetic data analysis would complement the areas in which I would like to excel within my PhD.

I am very enthusiastic about visiting XXX and also discussing the possibility of working with the individuals mentioned above as part of a PhD project within the XXX.

Warm regards,
XXX

T

Sounds good to me. Good luck with it :)

C

Looks good to me too!

D

Thanks guys I've emailed it off!

Now to play the waiting game...............