Would this count as meaningful experience?

O

I have completed my Masters in Psychology and am officially unemployed with a gap year (2012-'13) and currently looking for a PhD in clinical or neuropsych. The problem is when I was interviewed last time (and rejected) for a PhD, they asked for experience which in my case is 4 months as a clinical psychologist intern, apparently not enough. I haven’t been able to find a suitable job opportunity in the health sector but I have been free-lancing, conducting life-skills workshops in schools and working as a counselor in an NGO. I recently got this opportunity to conduct neuro-cognitive assessments on over 300 patients for a psychiatrist, which is not an official position but I’m helping the guy with the conduction, administration of tests, reports and data collection for his MD thesis.

Can I add this to my resume? I won’t have any certificate of work etc, so was wondering. Also, if yes, then how? O.o

R

*Bump!*

S

hi oOGJOo
yes you can add it to your resume! Please do! List it under work experience--and then write a brief description of what you did, mention also what kind of "position", whether you helped the psychiatrist because he's your colleague, your uncle or friend etc., and then put (reference available upon request) somewhere. What is important is how much experience you gain from doing this--if you are able to talk about it during interview (if asked).

A lot of things we don't have certificates for, we can use in our resume! Oh yes earlier I looked at a job website--and seen adverts looking for people with psychology qualifications!
please do keeping looking, keep applying, you do have a good chance of getting a job.

hope this helps--and best of luck!
love satchi

C

Hi oOGJOo, yes definitely put that in. A clinical or neuropsyc PhD is likely to involve some patient assessments so showing you have lots of experience of that would be great. Prior to my Neuropsyc PhD I had some experience of doing assessments, but no where near 300 patients!

I agree with Satchi - put it under work experience. I'd definitely put the lifesklills work shops and councelling work there too.

Good luck with the applications.