Funding opportunities for non-UK PhD students

S

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me to help a friend of mine. She is trying to get a PhD position in biology in the UK ideally in London. However, one hurdle is that she is from India so she cannot apply for most advertised PhD students.

I know it is a long shot but does anyone have any idea of where she could get funding or any advice?

Thank you in advance!

P

Quote From sciencegirl3456:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me to help a friend of mine. She is trying to get a PhD position in biology in the UK ideally in London. However, one hurdle is that she is from India so she cannot apply for most advertised PhD students.

I know it is a long shot but does anyone have any idea of where she could get funding or any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Some (not all) universities offer their own studentships for international applicants. Research councils typically only fund UK and EU students (to varying extents). Universities may also offer international bursaries to residents of certain countries. It's a case of seeking these things out, as there is not really a central register of funding opportunities for international students.

S

Quote From PhoenixFortune:
Quote From sciencegirl3456:
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Some (not all) universities offer their own studentships for international applicants. Research councils typically only fund UK and EU students (to varying extents). Universities may also offer international bursaries to residents of certain countries. It's a case of seeking these things out, as there is not really a central register of funding opportunities for international students.

Thank you, she was completely lost where to start so this really helps :)

I think it heavily depends on the field. Research councils nearly exclusively fund UK/EU citizens. However as PhoenixFuture said interanl funding is usually opne to international students. Also external research funding bodies such as Wellcome, Trust, Leverhulme, Marie Curie, Charities etc allow international students, which could be an option

S

Quote From rewt:
I think it heavily depends on the field. Research councils nearly exclusively fund UK/EU citizens. However as PhoenixFuture said interanl funding is usually opne to international students. Also external research funding bodies such as Wellcome, Trust, Leverhulme, Marie Curie, Charities etc allow international students, which could be an option

Thank you, I am sure this will help her :)