Help finding the right PhD

A

Hello,

I have a bachelor degree in Economics (though my bachelor was made up of 5 years) plus a MSc in Decision Support Systems applied to Economics. I made my thesis on Systemic Risk on Banking Networks.

I am looking to continue my studies in Banking. But when I look at some PhD offers on Economics they are very general. I wanted to follow a PhD program that is strong on banking and money markets. Does anybody know a PhD in Economics strong on banking ?

Another topic I would like to question is if you think possible doing a PhD while living and working in a different country. I have my job in my country of birth - Portugal by the way - I am also married and I have a 3 years old daughter. Leaving my job for some financial aid any PhD program can offer would always be a decrease on my current income. Plus, the family scene is also not the best to move. So I am looking for the best way to combine all these, though I understand I won't find a perfect solution.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Best regards,
AD

T

It's usually very difficult to do a PhD whilst in a different country to your host institution.

You miss out on so much interaction with your supervisors and other students so that you learn less, feel isolated and just get less out of it in general. Supervisors are also very reluctant to take on this kind of student, because they are worried that they may not complete the project I think.