How many of you are doing Phd on your ideal topic?

Z

Silly question, I guess, but there seems to be a lot of emphasis on doing the Phd in something you will enjoy. So how many of you have done/are doing Phd in something that you really wanted? Or did you have to adjust your expectations and take upon a different research question, even though it wasn't what you wanted to do in the first place?

T

I think this depends on the person. I've ended up doing molecular plant pathology. I had no interest in molecular biology at all - in fact I avoided it during undergrad, but now I really like after doing it for over 2 years. I enjoyed plant path but my interest initially was on the plant side, but actually I'm working mainly on the pathogen side so now I love mycology instead.

For me it doesn't matter whether I have any interest in something at the start - after spending months working on something, I start to love it.

I feel the same about a postdoc - I don't care what the topic is, I just want to do one!

Z

Thanks for the comment, TreaofLife. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about taking up a project in something I'm not 100% sure I would enjoy. I tend to be like you - if I spend enough time on something, I end up enjoying it. But it could very well go the other way - I may end up hating it. But I guess I won't know until I have a go.

L

My PhD wasn't quite on the topic I wanted to do, but close enough that in the end it didn't really matter. The studentship was part of a funded project and so was advertised like a job, and I went for it more because I had the right skill-set (and because it was kind of close to what I was originally thinking of), but didn't expect to get it because I didn't know anything about the text I was supposed to be studying! When I was offered the studentship I was in two minds about whether to take it because it wasn't what I'd originally set my heart on doing, and I had to do a lot of preliminary reading in my first year just to get to the point where I even understood the text I was working on. But on balance I think the PhD I ended up doing was more interesting and more valuable to my future career prospects than the one I originally wanted to do, so I'm grateful for that. I may go back to my original topic in the future, if somebody else doesn't get there first!

T

My PhD was supposed to be very close to an ideal project - however when I started it was changed completely (different area of biology, different techniques, completely different background literature) and I now won't get the opportunity to work on my original project at all. At first I was annoyed and considered quitting, I didn't find this new topic interesting at all, but after a while I accepted it and actually now I enjoy it. It probably is that thing of when you get started and the more you work on something, it does become interesting. If you're yet to accept a position, I would say take on board what your potential supervisor is like - that can be extremely important as there are a lot of horrible ones out there! If they have current students try to talk to them to get an idea. Not trying to worry you, but it is something to consider. Good luck!

F

When I meet my supervisors in April I will pitch them 2 proposals, the one I got accepted on, and one that came from an article idea. I still ave to develop the second one properly to confirm its viability, however if it works out, it will be honestly my dream research topic and a fun 3 years (for the most part).

D

I've done my PhD on the topic I chose and in the way I chose to do it.