I want to pursue PhD, I don't know where to start. Any advice?

W

I have a bachelors degree in English and a Masters in Mass Communication & Journalism. I've been a content writer for 2 years and for the last 1.5 years I'm working in the digital marketing field. My real interest lies in women's issues. Not sure where to start. Any tip?

K

I think you need to break down what you mean by 'women's issues' - that's quite a broad topic. What specific issue/set of issues do you want to look at and why are they important? When you have a clearly defined research area I would do a lot of reading in appropriate journals. Pick out names that seem to be important and find local (or not depending on your circumstances) academics working in a similar subject. Read their papers, see if your ideas fit with theirs (and can add something new). Use your background to frame the issue. Then I would start writing a proposal.

W

Thanks for the reply. Really really appreciate it. I have a doubt. I had this idea that the subject that I do PhD on should be connected to what I studied or the field I'm working in? If I take up women issues, it can be quiet different to what I've studied and it's not remotely related to the work I do.