Is my 6-year course of studies equivalent to a master's degree? Can I start a PhD right away??

T

Hi!!
I´m from South America and studied biochemistry at The University of Buenos Aires (a public university, and at the same time one of the most renowned in my country). The course of studies lasted for 6 complete years (minimum time of completion) including a one-year orientation course with specific subjects related to a special field selected by the student and a three-month internship in a hospital (that is done while you attend regular classes)
I´m planning to do a PhD in Europe and that is why I’d be grateful if someone could tell me the equivalences of my course of studies as I know that the courses are much shorter there and, in most cases, a Master´s degree is needed to start a PhD.
Thank you very much!!

R

Hi, a masters isn't always needed to start a PhD - here are a couple of links that might be helpful:

N

I have neither Bachelor nor Masters, but a German Diplom. I found some conflicting information, but at the end of the day I had to check with each particular University. They might have detailed requirements on their website or you just have to ask the relevant admin/admissions person.

T

Reenie and newtophd thank you very much fo your help!!