Returning after 3 years away

G

Hi all,

I posted yesterday under a rather obscure title so I thought I would try again lol

I had to leave my PhD 3 years ago because I was bullied severely by someone who should have known better (to cut a long story short). I left with nothing to show for my torture and was badly depressed with no self confidence. After three long years and intensive councilling I fell like i am ready to get back to science. It truly is an itch that never goes away. Unfortunately I opted for the first job that cam along and it is an administrative post after vowing never to return to science. I understand now I may have shot myself in the foot :S

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get back to the science they love after so long away? Circumstances were against me when I took my first PhD but now I own a house, have a partner with a good job, and live near my family. Did anyone go back part time? because this is also something that has crossed my mind...

Thanks in advance :)

G

Someone must know... :) please help if you can!

D

Hi Giara,

I started my MSc 4 years after I finished my undergrad degree. It was a good decision, as I managed to get some working experience, saved some money, and made a well-informed decision.

Is there any chance you choose a supervisor you have already worked with? Just to avoid any nasty surprises...

G

unfortunately not :( I studied for my undergrad in Wales and now live in Yorkshire so I have to stay local.

Going back to the old supervisor is not an option as of what happened.

What did you do in between if you dont mind me asking?