start date of PhD

N

hey,
I wanted to start a PhD on October, but I can't get my degree awarded by then. I've read usually it is possible to start on january, although most of the students start in autumn.

My questions are:
1) I have an interview for a project starting on Oct, should I write the potential supervisor I won't be able to start and give up the interview?
2) Based on your experience, will there be as many opened PhD opportunities as those available now? Or it is more likely to find (and get) a funded place on october?

T

Hi,

Do you mean you won't get your BSc or MSc by then? Many students start a PhD in the UK without being awarded their MSc; some start the PhD without even writing their thesis yet.

You are right that you can start any time, but it's better to start in Oct because that's when the majority start and you will find it's easier to start then for the intros and to meet new students, have the right classes etc.

If I were you I would go along to the interview and discuss it with them at the time. If they really want you, they won't mind you starting later, or they will be able to explain whether you can start without finishing your degree anyway.

There will be a few PhDs advertised between now and Oct, but the majority will have already been posted and awarded. Most funded PhDs advertise for an Oct start.