applications and delays

T

I have been discussing a PhD with my local university for 18 months. They keep saying they are enthusiastic, they have awarded me Visiting Fellowship status (to get access to the library) and they have included my research project on their website. BUT, in order to devote the necessary time, I need the funding. All this time the department head says she is about to apply to funders, she'll be doing it shortly, "tomorrow" I'll have a copy of her proposal, etc, etc. This is dragging on interminably. It seems that funding applications have to come from the university - but what to do if the university departmnt will not pull its finger out?! They seem to want the project, but they just seem unable/unwilling to get deal with the funding. Also, I don't have a first degree but DO have an MBA. Again, I get mixed messages: sometimes it's not an issue, sometimes it could be a stumbling block. Any advice, please?

O

Yes, take your MBA and run as far away from this university as you can. If they are so unreliable BEFORE you've even started, do you really want to work with them for three years or more?

I'm sure there are better opportunities out there. How old are you, if I may ask?

T

Thanks. I'm 41. I'm giving several papers at conferences this year. I'm widely published in the media. The difficulty for me is that I live just 15 mins from this university, and it's the only one with an interest in this subject area. On paper it would seem ideal. The reality is a different story...

O

Well, it seems like it would be difficult to move away. My original suggestion was to try and apply to management consultancies, they often offer sabbaticals for PhD after one or two years. However, in your case, that's probably not what you want to do. Therefore I would suggest that you either push those people in your department a little bit for funding or a clear statement or try to fund yourself somehow (at least for the first 12 months). Good luck