Can you drive me?

J

Hello everybody,
I got an admission from University of Warwick, Department of Computer Science, Degree of PhD.

However I am an international student, and the deadline of applying for scholarship was 2 month back :(

What do you advice me to do?
Where can I find a funiding for my PhD?

Thanks for all

G

Absolutely no easy answers to that question. Look here..http://www.findaphd.com/students/funding.asp. Also look through the forum for similar questions. It's often asked.

J

golfpro thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it, I'll have a look at the link you gave it to me, but I am really sad, cuz you know when things come to help, it's hardly to find someone to help, btw do you have any experience you can share?

G

Well nothing overly positive I'm afraid. Reading this forum will tell you the funding for UK stundents is very thin on the ground. For foreign stundents that's considerably more so. You'll probabaly come to realise that getting 'on' the PhD was the easy bit. Getting the funding is the hard bit. Arguably, the best sources of funding will come from within your own country. Good luck.

S

jo3an, i was in a similar situation last year. got accepted for a PhD but as late as June; also an international student; no funding in sight.

i decided to take the chance. i had some savings from working double jobs and figured i could make it for up to max. 9 months.

golfpro is right, it is hard to find funding in Britain. even holding a British passport makes no difference, since it is not nationality that makes you eligible, but exclusively residency.

so here my advice:
- start applying for funding right now. it's too late for government funding (research councils) BUT you might still have options, subject specific, like the Wellcome Trust. many of these options will be impossible once you have started your course.

S

- look for international things and things in your home country. check out wenner gren foundation if you are doing ethnographic fieldwork, international federation of university women IFUW and their national dependencies if you are a woman. the "research council" or similar of your home country and private foundations/charities. perhaps your employer can help.
- if you can afford it and are willing to take the risk, you can do as i did and start the PhD and try to find money as you go along (i.e. for second and consecutive years). if you have EU citizenship you can get "fees only" scholarship from the research councils. your university will have things. some of them you can apply for even now still. others you can apply for next year, when you are already here. next year you can apply for the ORSA awards (overseas research studentships). it just means that your first year is financed by yourself but you DO have chances of getting at least some money for consecutive years.

S

- if you can't find any money in, say, the first year, you have some options: a) go part time, take a job to fund yourself. b) quit the PhD - perhaps you can get your work so far accredited as MPhil. c) take up a loan to continue full time.

i know, it is a big financial investment, clearly a big risk. but if you are very eager to do this, it might be worth taking this risk.
as i said on the other thread, check out www.ukcosa.org.uk

J

shani, thank you very much for your great post, basically, I am not EU citizen, and my research is related to computer science, all what you have mentioned is great, but I can't afford the funding, and I think I have no choice other than defer my admission till the next year 2008-2009 so I can apply for the scholarship,and who knows I might be unable to get the scholarship