ESRC +3 Funding without Masters?

D

Hi guys,

First post here - what a great resource!

I have just completed a BA in Geography (1st Class) and I am about to apply to study for a Masters in Research at King's College London starting in Sept. 08. and hope to undertake a PhD the following year. My question is regarding funding for a PhD so bare with me...

From your experiences, is a Masters "required" for funding for the +3 or is it possible to apply to the ESRC for funding without a Masters degree to go straight into a PhD?

Any other advice you can give, that would be splendid.
Thanks

David

P

I have a +3 ESRC studentship.

When I applied for my advertised post, I was the only one who had an MSc in Research which was +1 credited. All the other candidates were rejected as a result. So I think the answer is yes, you will need to have the +1 MSc/MA Research methods before getting +3 funding

Having an ESRC recognised Masters is pretty much essential to get ESRC +3 funding. The only way round it that I can think of would be to have lots of professional research experience/pubications which prove that you are already at masters level and ready for a PhD.

As ESRC studentships are so competitive you are definately better of getting a masters first then starting to apply for PhDs once you have completed this.