Funding for a PhD in spirituality and Religion, where do I go??

T

Hi everyone,

Im a prospective PhD student and wish to pursue a piece of research in one of the following two fields:

1. The role of religion and spirituality in coping with COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

2. Are interfaith interactions disintegrating between 2nd and 3rd generation youth within the south asian community? And if they are, then is a difference in religious beliefs the cause?

I have already spoken to a professor within the university and he is enthusiastic about it and willing to take things further, but he has stated that there is very little funding available within the university and that I should look at approaching various organisations. But whom should I contact? I am absolutely lost in regards to this funding situation. Without funding, I am doubtful that I will be able to commit to the PhD, which would be a shame as I am passionate about the subjects.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! NEED FUNDING!

E

I have just replied to your post on my thread, saying I would be interested to hear more of your plans. And now I have!

The professor may know of research councils relevant to the area - I don't know much about them, would the subject fit into the ESRC's remit? (economic & social research council) I'm not sure. Search for research councils on google - it may come up with something interesting :)

T

Thanks Emma, Ive tried the ESRC, and although its only been a few days, ive not yet had a reply. I hope I find some funding.

Have you considered a part-time PhD? I am considering it, but I would then have the same problem of having very little money, im not sure where I could then go to find a part-time job, as I have a mortgage to pay and other costs to meet :-(

M

Might be worth looking here to get an idea of the sort of research the AHRC have been funding lately. I can't see any specific funding that would be available to you as an individual PhD student, but it looks to me as if the sort of area you're interested in (religion/social cohesion/changing communities) is attracting a lot of money at the minute, which can only be good news for you:

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/FundingInitiatives.aspx

maybe the big guy upstairs can help out?

E

Quote From Truekumar:

Thanks Emma, Ive tried the ESRC, and although its only been a few days, ive not yet had a reply. I hope I find some funding.

Have you considered a part-time PhD? I am considering it, but I would then have the same problem of having very little money, im not sure where I could then go to find a part-time job, as I have a mortgage to pay and other costs to meet :-(

I did my MA part-time and worked full time along side it - it nearly killed me! (because I did put a lot of pressure on myself to get a good mark - it worked ;) ) and now I have a one-year-old... I don't think I could cope with a part-time PhD, work & child - which is why I, like you, am so reliant on funding! Good luck with the AHRC :)