funding with 2.2

C

======= Date Modified 14 42 2009 16:42:49 =======
======= Date Modified 14 38 2009 16:38:01 =======
I received a 2.2 MEng (Master of Engineering) from a top 20 uni in 2008. Does anyone think it is possible to get funding for a PhD with this? An MEng is considered a Ugrad degree even though it stands for masters of engineering. From reading some of the threads, I think that I need to do an msc and get a 2.1 to get funding for a PhD. I have been working in industry for a year now.

Am I more likely to get a position in the department that I studied?

I'm also a home student.

Thank you.

coa

K

Hi there. I think you would really need to make enquiries at specific universities to see what is acceptable in your field. In very competitive subject areas you would need at least a 2.1 and a masters (preferably a first and a distinction at masters for the best chance of funding), but in a lot of other fields it is a lot less tough. A friend of mine in economics got a fully funded PhD with a 2.2 and a pass at masters, so you can see how much entry requirements vary according to subject. I don't know much about engineering, but I don't think it is too competitive compared to some other topics. I would imagine that with a 2.2 you would at least need a masters degree, but best to speak to a few departments you are interested in applying to and find out. Good luck, KB.

P

Hello Coa,

Just to add this to the mix, I have a 2.2 and I have a very well funded PhD studentship (a CASE studentship which pays far more than a normal science PhD).

I'm at the final stages of my PhD. My PhD was a competitive studentship and I won the studentship among the remaining candidates who all had 2.1 degrees.

I also have 2 MSc degrees. I think because I had an MSc in Research Methods, this helped swing the balance in my favour. The other candidates did not have research training. That and I was VERY lucky!!

My PhD is within the social sciences, so it might be different to the enginering field.

Hope this helps!
x

C

thanks for your replies keenbean and Pineapple. I think your right keenbean, I need to talk to some departments and see whether I can get funding. I also should look at doing an msc, although I think it might be a bit late to apply for September.

Thanks again,

Coa