How often are PhD students paid?

J

Hi,

I've applied for a PhD in London that comes with 'around' £14,000 of funding per year, and I was wondering how this is paid? Do you get a monthly payment? Or is it termly? etc.

Thanks,

Jim

at my uni, you can opt for monthly - like a normal salary, or quarterly. I opted for quarterly, so I wouldn't spend it all, but for some reason they paid me monthly anyway, and I did spend it all :$

C

I've been told by my Uni that my funding will be quarterly, I was hoping it would be monthly but I don't think I have a choice. My funding if from a Research Council (NERC) but I'm not sure if it's up to them or the Uni how often you get paid.

D

======= Date Modified 30 Jun 2011 16:10:22 =======
That's the same at my uni (monthly payments) although I think some research councils may pay quarterly.

H

======= Date Modified 30 Jun 2011 20:11:57 =======
£14,000 is low for London - research council funded PhDs are ~£15,500. If you are offered it and are thinking of accepting, ask why it's set at that amount and see if you can wangle some more.

I've been paid both monthly and quarterly on different funding schemes and I far prefer monthly. I think it's the university that decides.

J

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies so far, I'd prefer to be paid monthly, so I'll see if I can ask about it.

To HazyJane

It's a studentship from the EPSRC, from the EPSRC website it shows the minimum payment as £13,590 but I can't find anything on their site about being paid more for being in london, where did you hear this? (http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/funding/students/Pages/minimumpay.aspx)

Thanks guys

H

I assumed all the Govt research councils had the same funding rates. The amount you've quoted is what the MRC pay outside London - hopefully the EPSRC has highger rates for inside London too:
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Fundingopportunities/Applicanthandbook/Studentships/Stipend/index.htm

J

Ah right ok, thanks.

Maybe they just hadn't updated that part of their website in a while, or because it's Brunel University it may not count as being in london, it is within the M25 though....

Fingers Crossed I guess

H

I get paid every three months.

I'm was funded by the ESRC in london - you get £2k extra for being in london.

H

Quote From sneaks:

I'm was funded by the ESRC in london - you get £2k extra for being in london.

There are some cities in the UK that are just as expensive to live in as London - they should get 2K extra too.

======= Date Modified 01 Jul 2011 10:53:22 =======

Quote From JimHart:

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies so far, I'd prefer to be paid monthly, so I'll see if I can ask about it.

To HazyJane

It's a studentship from the EPSRC, from the EPSRC website it shows the minimum payment as £13,590 but I can't find anything on their site about being paid more for being in london, where did you hear this? (http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/funding/students/Pages/minimumpay.aspx)

Thanks guys

Hmm, just above UK minimum wage. However, also tax free.

I finished March 2004 and was on a stipend of just over £8,000 a year. That was the extended allowance for a mature student too, as otherwise it would have been £6,000. Another lad with wife and kids got approximately £12,000.

An amount you can actually live on now then?

I was paid every three months, so that hasn't changed.