OFFER SUBJECT TO FUNDING

F

Hi I have been given an offer subject to funding in bioengineering and I have a medical neuroscience Bsc. The only two studentships have been filled but my potential supervisor is still keen for me to do the project in his lab but said I need to look at funding agencies that could fund a studentship and that he would look also.
what organizations can I apply to directly since research councils do not accept applications directly from students?!

thanks

H

I didn't realise students couldn't apply direct to research councils for PhD funding. I thought that was just for Masters studentships.

Apart from research councils, the other sources will depend on your project area. For example, the British Heart Foundation accepts applications (I think) all year around and will take applications from students/their supervisors, but that is only relevant if your project has a cardiovascular angle. So try to identify disease-specific charities which might support your work.

If your project has a potentially industrial component, would a CASE studentship be something your supervisor could try to get hold of, in collaboration with an industrial partner?

P

What's about the university itself? Sometimes the university has got funds to support students or specific societes (e.g. alumni) can provide studentships... With bioengineering, are there potential industrial sponsors? Good luck..