Other sources of funding??

T

Hey, really appreciate the replies.

I've got a few questions, though. Shani - were you really caught up with applying for funding in your first year? How much research did you get done in the first year? I am hoping to put in place a well-structured research plan with my supervisor so that i am in as strong a position as possible for funding. Also, on the question of deferring until funding is secured, couldn't i be waiting year after year? I'm 25 now and i realise i can't hang around too long before i start my PhD if i want to get on with my career. So i'm thinking that if i don't get funding next year i'll finish it p/t.

It's a case of damn if you do, damned if you don't really. Which ever option I choose there will drawbacks, at least if i start now, i'll be on my way.

Swantjie - never heard about that possibility. There is a highly-regarded scholar working in my field based in the Netherlands, i'll make inquiries...

Thanxs,

S

tumbleweed, if i were you i would check up his departmental website to see if there are free PhD positions for which you can apply or contact that researcher directly if there aren't. these positions pop up all the time with different starting dates, they aren't usually bound to the academic term. if someone in NL really wants you then they can dig up the funds from somewhere. there even are positions to which ONLY foreigners may apply (for tax reasons). being an english native speaker outside of england is also a really BIG plus in academia (especially when writing articles etc).

if you find you need some extra money you can always give private conversation classes, english native speakers are very sought after and you can make a lot of "pocket money" that way, i certainly do.

S

heya,
well, i did get some stuff done, but mostly it was through working on my funding applications. basically what disturbed me most was that every time i met my supervisor, it was to discuss the applications. that was not really what i wanted from her, overall - and i felt bad because i was using so much of her time, and i still didn't get much out of it. i admit i also lost some time simply because every rejection demoralised me and i sometimes found it hard to get back to work. and not knowing if i was going to be able, financially, to continue, also sometimes depressed me and so i wouldn't get out of bed...

S

i was 30 when i started. i think at 25 you are still young, no need to panic. but think about it: if you start now, don't get the funding, switch to part time, you might finish within 6, 7 years in total, plus you would be broke and looking towards unhealthy job prospects. on the other hand, if you wait a year, get that funding, and do your PhD full time, you could be finished in 4 years, plus 1 year "waiting" - you'd still be faster, and you'd have kept your savings, and your time would have been less stressful.

S

i guess it boils down to whether you are happy with the idea of continuing part-time. if yes, well, go ahead, focus on one or two big funding applications and hope for the best. if that really is not what you are looking for, perhaps it would be better to defer. you can still work like crazy on those funding applications, your prof should still be willing to help you, and i believe that your chances are higher if you have not yet started your PhD (but do check that). and if the applications don't work out, you can maybe get yourself through 2 years of self-funded full time study before you need to switch to part time, because you will have been able to save up more money.

S

at the end of the day, i think you really need to think about if doing the PhD part time is what you are happy with. talk to other part-timers, consider the difficulties and advantages.

oh, and, on the side - there have been any number of posts from people here on the forum complaining about supervisors who "promised" some funding, or promised to help to find funding in the future, and never did. once you've started, unfunded, you are not a priority anymore...

M

Hi people,
I found out on Thursday that my application for funding had been rejected by my university. It's left me somewhat unsure as what to do. I've identified another possible source of funding but they don't announce the awards until the 5th Dec........INNIT!!! Anybody know other types of funding available.
Cheers.

P

I think that you really need to be honest about your chances.
If you haven't been put forward for funding with the new quota system then you need to admit your department aren't being too enthusiastic and maybe look elsewhere.
Also ask yourself some questions about your grades, how you rank in comparison to the rest of your year, the fashionability of your project, and so forth.
My tutor has been v clear that even with exceptional marks you still cannot be guaranteed funding; but it helps....
I have to say I'd be reluctant to start without funding and the potential of being forced out/major stress. This is despite the fact I'm passionate about my subject.