Part-time PhD

E

I live in Wales and want to get funding to do my Biological Sciences PhD part-time. I have a project and a supervisor lined up, but so far all the funding on offer is for full-timers only. Any ideas?

S

I'm not sure what funding is available for p/t study, its also a bad time for it, the funding is normally arranged in the spring but it might be worth your while searching for funding opportunities and finding out if any is available. Hopefully some of the p/t study people will be along in a bit and will be able to give you some better advice

B

I was a part-time student, and funded, but AHRC is AFAIK a bit unusual in funding people part-time. I also got a stipend in the last 18 months of my funding, cos they'd changed the rules so part-timers were on more of an even footing with full-timers.

Also my award was direct to me, rather than through a university. That's not normal with other funding councils.

Have you asked your likely supervisor for advice? There are also charitable trusts who can fund people. For example in Scotland we have the Carnegie Trust. Maybe there's something similar for Wales? But then again they tend to fund full-time only too.

E

Thanks, it's good to hear someone out there. My supervisor is now offering to waive the fees . But I still need some income! I'll keep looking.