PhD with Merit in MSc??

B

Hello everyone! I studied the MSc in Finance in Cardiff Business School. I would like to ask you if it is possible to get a full PhD funding in UK if I have graduated the MSc with Merit. Unfortunately, my final grade was 63 and the dissertation was 64, so I believe I do not have a lot of possibilities not only to be provided with a scholarship but also to be accepted from a good university. For example as I see, Warwick Business School accepts prospective PhD students who have hold a Master with Distinction. What do you believe? Does it worth to apply for a PhD or I have to do another Master and try to get a Distinction so as to have more possibilities to be funded?

M

I don't think it matters. All your qualifications are taken into account when you apply - not just your MSc grade. Yes, you stand a chance to get a scholarship, for the same reason.

With those grades I'd apply. M.Sc. with merit is a good start. I assume you have a decent degree to back that up?

People can still get onto a PhD with as little as a Bachelor's 2(i), though Masters and / or relevant works experience helps over and above this. The bare minimum is 2(ii) plus Masters (though it's harder than it used to be with these grades and relevant works experience to the intended field of study is a definite help) and I'm sure you're above that mark.

Once you get to interview, you have your chance to impress.

Ian

B

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
With those grades I'd apply. M.Sc. with merit is a good start.

Once you get to interview, you have your chance to impress.

I assume you have a decent degree to back that up?

Ian

Thank you for your response. My first degree is a 4-year BSc in Accounting and Finance from a Greek University and unfortunately the final grade is 2:1.

Quote From Bodiroga:
[quote]

Thank you for your response. My first degree is a 4-year BSc in Accounting and Finance from a Greek University and unfortunately the final grade is 2:1.

A 2(I) plus Masters with Merit is more than good enough for a PhD application. I suggest giving your application a go.

Ian