Psychology PhD funding

M

Hello, I am currently looking for funding for a Developmental Psychology PhD (word learning and typicality in children). My dissertation supervisor has agreed to supervise me at a PhD level but I am really struggling to find places to apply for funding. Has anyone got any ideas of specific places I could apply? Thank you for your help in advance. Mirena

P

Hi, this does depend on a few things - are you fixed to a particular location or university. Or, could you potentially move to a different university, whilst still keeping your dissertation supervisor involved as part of your supervisory team?

If you can't move University then speak to you supervisor more about this - they will be able to advise you further - many universities are currently advertising for PhD students in a range of areas - so that would be good if you want to stick closely to your original plan. One other plan would be for your supervisor (and you) to write a research proposal together for funding that would gain enough funds for a 3 year project - there are lots of places you could consider, e.g. ESRC, British Academy, Nuffield etc.

If you want to do a PhD but you don't mind changing your research ideas to fit in with an existing project that has already been funded, then look on Jobs.ac.uk and choose PhD - there are lots of different options for funded PhD places on there. Indeed, some of these are not that specific so you could keep your original plan , e.g. Strathclyde:

For mine, I was lucky enough to get an ESRC CASE scholarship, but that scheme has now closed, though the ESRC do still fund PhD's if the university is in one of their 21 Doctoral Training centres. The Open university have just closed a round of applications for PhD funding, they may readvertise this at some point, worth checking on their site too.

Good luck!

*Link removed by moderator*

P

Hi Reenie, out of interest, why was the link removed? I have seen others post links to specific jobs, funded PhDs (including yourself). I was just trying to be helpful :)

R

Hi, I'm afraid it's against our rules to 'advertise postgraduate courses, PhD places, Postdoctoral or other academic positions', although we do allow links to our own sites.

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/rules/

I know you were just being helpful, and not advertising, so apologies for interupting your post :)

M

Hello, Thank you for your suggestions. I would like to stick to the area of language development. I have applied for an ESRC course at another University and am still waiting to hear back, but unfortunately my university is not one of the 21 course centers. I have tried to look on trust and organisation websites but it appears that they fund charitable organisations (not individuals or courses) and organisations such as the British Academy appear to only fund post doctoral study. I have emailed the university psychology admin person and I will also email my supervisor again.. it sometimes just feels impossible. I will also keep an eye on the open University website. Thank you for your help.

P

Hi Mirena90,
good luck with your current application - in any case if this is not successful they should give you some useful feedback to feed into future applications.
Fingers crossed that your current university will launch a round of departmentally funded PhDs at some point. Anotherpossible option is to get a relevant RA job.. and then over time this may develop into a PhD project which can either be full time funded by a research council or funder (that is what happened to me) .. or as happening more often these days as I see with collegues, is that the PhD maintenance aspect is funded by yourself by working as an RA (but the university you are working for waive the tuition fees as you are staff) - this may mean the PhD takes a bit longer of course! :)
Good luck!

ps. Thanks for clarifying that Reenie :) - I should have read the rules more closely!

M

Thank you! That would be very useful if they do give me feedback. Yes, my supervisor did say that there may be a PhD opportunity before the summer but it is not certain yet. I will look into the RA job route if I don't get on to a PhD this year as I will need to get more work experience and a job when I graduate. Thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it!