Self-Funding European Research Masters or PhD

R

Is it easier to get accepted into research masters or PhD programs if you bring your own funding? I've read through this forum and done Internet searches on self-funding, but haven't seen this specific question answered, yet. I ask about easier admissions out of curiosity. I'd self-fund out of necessity, as I have an autoimmune disease that can be debilitating. So, it'd be in my best interest to focus on one thing at a time - in this case, my studies. Thanks in advance for replying!

S

Hi Rochelle,

I can't say I know which one would be easier to get onto, but I imagine if you're self-funded chances are they'll want you either way. Do you know which institution you want to apply to? If so, you can get in touch with the finance department and ask them to send you any information they have on funding - there's more out there than we think. Also, try your local library. We tend to go to the internet as it's easy access, but you can find lots in the library (The Grants Register is invaluable).

I have had Crohn's Disease for 7 years now and it definitely had a huge impact on my studies, especially towards deadlines and money problems. I've just received an unconditional offer for a Masters in Crime Novel's and am now in the process of applying for funding. I tackled it by applying to the course first, getting that out the way, then searching high and low for all kinds of funding. Also, if you have a medical condition, there's certain types of grants and bursaries you can apply for - so long as your doctor can confirm the illness etc.

I hope this helps! Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll be great.

T

It's much easier. In my lab, if you bring your own funding and you have any type of biology degree, you are accepted no questions asked. However, it's extremely difficult to self-fund, and those that do are generally government or corporation funded, or have very rich parents.

R

I'm from the USA and I'd "self-fund" by using graduate student loans available from the US federal government. They're available for pretty much every university in the UK. The only restriction is that they can't be used for distance/online learning from a foreign university.

T

I'd say you have a very good chance of being accepted then!

R

Thank you both for your replies!