self-funding

E

Hi all! I am just about to start my final year as an undergraduate, and would really like to do a PhD after graduation, however, I can't afford to pay for this myself so can only do it if i can get funding. I have found a long list of PhDs I am interested in on the findaphd.com website, but the majority of them say you need to be 'self-funded' to apply. does this mean i would have to pay for my fees, or that i would have to apply to a body other than the university for funding.....?? as you can see i am really confused (this is probably a really basic question) and would really appreciate if someone could just simplify things a little bit for me! thanks!

B

Ellenr_321. My interpretation of this would be on several levels, but essentially, yeah, it means that there is no designated funding from the supervisor to cater for the project. That said, it doesn't mean that there will be some level of funding somewhere indirectly (if you thought political party funding was murky, ya ain't seen nothing!).

I think you are in a very good position at the moment. Despite the current downturn, the very fact that you are thinking of applying now underlines your enthusiasm. Get in contact with your local councils - there could be some funding there. Just because the funding isn't designated directly, there are plenty of other sources. I am assuming you are in the UK so wouldn't know of any council grants etc.

Identify the PhD projects that interest you as a project - sure, money is a big factor but if you identify the ones that interest you from a research perspective, take from now until November to actually find out is there any possible funding. And if not funding, contact the supervisor themselves - there maybe a policy of finding some related work for non-funded Phd-ers in that dept.

Lastly, you will probably have to do some part-time during your PhD or dip into savings at least.