UK Scholarships

H

Does there exist PhD Scholarships for academic excellence in the UK? I just know scholarships like that from other countries. For example you get a full PhD-Funding without proposal for a special university. After you got the scholarship you have 6 month to choose a perfect working group and project for you. I like that possibility. Does anybody know something like that in the UK? I was also already searching the internet, but there are nearly no scholarships like that.
Thanks a lot.

S

Hi Hubert
its like asking for money for something you say you're going to do but haven't yet told them what exactly yet but only told them that you're very very good at it :-) :-) :-)

I also haven't seen any scholarships like that
love
satchi

H

Hi! Thanks for your reply. It is not just an idea of me. There exist international scholarships like this. But I didn't find some for the UK. Thanks for any help! Hubert

G

I don't know what your field is but in biological sciences at least there are PhD scholarships like this.  The Wellcome Trust do a 4 year PhD scholarship in which you rotate between 3 labs in your first year and then select one, and write a proposal for the PhD you'd like to undertake in it. I believe that the University of Dundee, Warwick and the John Innes Sainsbury Lab do these types of scholarships (Wellcome Trust for Warwick and Dundee).  However I also know the deadlines are past for each of these.

So I think the type of PhD scholarship you are looking for does exsist in the UK, but beyond science I couldn't tell you. Hope this is slightly helpful.

S

Quote From Gennia:

So I think the type of PhD scholarship you are looking for does exsist in the UK, but beyond science I couldn't tell you. Hope this is slightly helpful.

hi again huber! hi gennia! thanks for this! I learnt something today :-)
love
satchi

M

I dont know if this helps but I was PhD hunting for a year and half before it worked out for me.
I was looking for Funded PhD scholarships and well I found a topic I was interested in on FindaPhD.com and I was told it was a self funded position , so I applied to the Uni for a scholarship, and I received it about 4 months later.
I knew what topic I wanted so I didnt have to right a research proposal and have to handle my living expenses.
Check out the site, It worked for me, so I hope it works out for you too!

K

Hey Hubert! Yes, my PhD scholarship was purely based on academic achievements and was open to people from all subjects at all universities across the country, so there are some. I did have to submit a very short proposal with mine but the scholarship was awarded based only on academic merit alone. Mine seemed to be a bit of a one-off, there was only one scholarship available, and I had never heard of it before! I just came across it online, applied just on the off-chance, and couldn't believe my luck when I won it! So there are some around, but I don't think there are very many and I'm not sure exactly where you would look to find one. I think you'd have a much better chance deciding on a project and a uni and then applying for funding to be honest, but as I said, it is not impossible to find these scholarships now and again! Good luck with it! KB