Who had heard about funding for 2010?

B

Congrats both of you! Helena I know the feeling with the MA, I'm currently writing up my MA and it's driving me crazy!

H

======= Date Modified 16 Jul 2010 11:08:21 =======
======= Date Modified 16 Jul 2010 08:33:40 =======
Thanks Youngsta (and congrats!), thanks Button. Here I am again loathing the thought of my dissertation *rolls eyes*. Where's everybody up to with theirs? I'm on 11700 words, but lots & lots of editing to do once I hit 15k/finish the conclusion. Many places need deleting/re-writing. Woop de doo.

Update: after a morning's work I actually have less words *rolls eyes*

L

Hi Helena,

First of all, all the best with your dissertation and applications, I hope they'll all be sorted out very soon.
I started the stressful PhD application process around mid-October and just got the good news a week ago. As an international student in an area where funding is rare (modern languages), I got an overseas bursary which pays the difference between home and overseas fees. It's an odd feeling as I didn't know how to react, as I know it is still not going to be easy to partially self-fund but the only chance for me to do the PhD was this "normalization" of fees. I am like "YAY!" one minute, and "oh, well..." the next.

I had applied to two other places from where I heard I was shortlisted for the awards and then got the bad news. It was very frustrating to hear that you're shortlisted and have 1/10 chance of getting it and in a week I hear that I'm not even in the reserve list. Then I heard from my top choice that I had a 30% fee bursary around mid-May, which was the amount of the bursary I applied for. Earlier this month I heard (without any further application!) that my bursary was increased! So, I just believe now that there is no "impossible" in funding applications and I am so excited to start my PhD this September!

So don't get too much frustrated over bad news and I hope you'll get there soon!

Best of luck,

leaf

K

======= Date Modified 17 Jul 2010 21:24:33 =======
I know exactly how you feel. I applied through 2 universities, one being where I did my BA and the other where I am currently doing my MSc. The funding application steps were different for both uni's, and I had slightly different proposals at each one.

A the 1st uni where I did my BA, I got to the final stage of selection for the University Studentships and I got knocked back. I was really gutted by this because I know that this uni is slightly less 'prestigious' when it comes to my subject than the one where I do my MSc. I was also knocked back on selection for the AHRC here too. This made me feel really down and pretty much worthless because I was thinking 'if I can't get anything here, how do I get in there?'

However, I got a University Studentship from the uni where I do my MSc. I am so happy because my topic is better there and it was my first choice uni. Also, my supervisor is the best in the field I am doing, bar none really, so that makes me extremely proud and honoured. Turns out he is a really nice guy and has given me some very good advice, general as well as academic.

Currently, I am waiting on the ESRC to get back to me from the same uni as I got the Studentship from. I hope I get that because it means that a studentship will be freed up for someone else. Also, although less importantly, the ESRC pay about £1000 a year more in the maintenance allowance so every little helps I guess. Mostly though, I just want someone else to get a chance although I don't know who would be next on the list. They might go somewhere else in the faculty and not to my department.

I wish everyone good luck with their endeavours and the best success possible. And keep plugging away on the Masters dissertations. I hope everything works out for you Helena, please let us know how you get on. I do empathise with you.

H

Hi Killahtron and Leaf :-) thanks for your stories. I do have funding now for the PhD (beginning in Sept/Oct) so that's one huge worry off my mind. All that's left is the dissertation, which is getting harder and harder to work on every day (I also work 3 hours a day Mon-Fri). I guess Ijust want it to finish, to have some closure, which feels a long way off but, realistically, is about 5 weeks away. Just a case of keeping at it until then.

I'm worried,actually, about how much paid-work I will be able to do with my funded PhD and stipend. I haven't received the terms and conditions yet, but I think I will need a chat with my boss and to reduce my hours or leave completley. Not looking forward to that because they have been very flexible with me for my MA.

Wow, look at all my complaining! Sorry guys!

H

Hello I'm so jealous with those who already got their placement and also to those that is about to start their PhD. I'm cracking my head in front of the computer every single day to search suitable placement!uugghh.. it's so stressful when you have to wait the reply from the potential supervisor. every single day I check not less than 10 times whether they reply or not..

If somehow i got the placement, I have then to fight for the scholarship. gosh, its not easy to further studies nowadays. so competitive.
nway, it would be a great help if anyone know any projects or anyone involved with metabolic engineering.

Best of luck everyone especially you Helena :-)

B

Congrats Helena! I am jealous - still do not know about mine and the guy has ignored my phone calls now for a month!

H

Thanks Blair and Hanan. All I have to say is I thought the wait would never end, and I was prepared for bad news, just goes to show: you never can be sure. Don't try to second guess yourself. And good luck.

B

I have actually been advised (last night - by a friend of mine) to NOT take the PhD if they offer it, due to them being really efficient and ignoring my calls etc.... my friend said this really does not look good and reckons the PhD could be a nightmare with a really unresponsive supervisor. She kind of has a point.... I am a bit reluctant at this late stage - just annoying to not have a full plan b!

H

Blair, that's a good point and worth considering, but -- if you do get offered a place -- perhaps you could set up a meeting (or a phone call, or even an email) to disuss your concerns with your potential supervisor. This will give you a chance to scope him/her out, and make an informed decision.

I agree that ignoring your calls is frustrating, not to mention rude, but maybe there's a good excuse? I contacted the postgrad admin in my department for news, not a supervisor. They always seem to know what's going on more than the tutors anyway (although at another place -- Nottingham actually -- I received no reply to the last emailI sent them).

Either way, I think it is worth *trying* to make contact should you win a place. Just one last go can't hurt.

For many people "plan B" is work for a year and re-apply. The good thing about this is plenty of essay/dissertation-free time to work on applications, and distributing them wider. This was certainly going to be my "plan B", as was applying abroad.

Really hope this works out for you Blair.

B

thanks helena - exactly what a mate said to me.
update is that he emailed me this wkend.... to say there is light and it's almost 100% in place - just not completely, and can i send my CV to him again so he can show the potential funders.
very good points though - will try to get supervision arrangements set out from the outset.
fingers bloody crossed! almost there i think.... :)

Quote From helena_h:

Blair, that's a good point and worth considering, but -- if you do get offered a place -- perhaps you could set up a meeting (or a phone call, or even an email) to disuss your concerns with your potential supervisor. This will give you a chance to scope him/her out, and make an informed decision.

I agree that ignoring your calls is frustrating, not to mention rude, but maybe there's a good excuse? I contacted the postgrad admin in my department for news, not a supervisor. They always seem to know what's going on more than the tutors anyway (although at another place -- Nottingham actually -- I received no reply to the last emailI sent them).

Either way, I think it is worth *trying* to make contact should you win a place. Just one last go can't hurt.

For many people "plan B" is work for a year and re-apply. The good thing about this is plenty of essay/dissertation-free time to work on applications, and distributing them wider. This was certainly going to be my "plan B", as was applying abroad.

Really hope this works out for you Blair.