Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Career Development Loans

S

Can anybody recommend any good banks within England that offer Career Development Loans? My total course fees are just on £3000 and so, I'm looking for this amount as I will finance materials etc with my wage.

P

Hiya! I got a career development loan from barclays. I ended up getting out 7k to live and pay for fees. Barclays were great! They were understanding and allowed me to top up when I was in need of cash. Noe that ive finished my course, the repayments are a bit steep though! Thank God for my PhD studentship!

G

Just bear in mind you can never go bankrupt on a career development loan.

V

Hello- It used to be the case that three banks: the cooperative, royal bank of Scotland and Barclays offer career development loans. I had one with the Cooperative, though I think in terms of interest rates (around 12%) they are all fairly similar. My experience with the Coop has been okay, some problems, but that was mainly my fault for missing a repayment which, given the interest rates, are extortionate. But it was worth it to get my MA.

I

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/career-development-loans

Good advice on CDLs here from Martin Lewis.

ilovebdt

S

You can't go bankrupt on a student loan but I'm sure you can on a career development loan since it's typical to a loan, i.e. you have a certain period of time to pay it off, you can't wait to earn a certain amount before starting to pay it off, you deal directly with a bank.
I'd be interested to know where you got the info from that you can't go bankrupt.

V

Payments can diverted up to 17 months if someone is on JSA but it's not guaranteed.