Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Extra curricular for postgraduate in America

T

Hey guys,

I know that for undergraduate applications American universities ( the top insitutions) are really keen on numerous extra curricual work and cherity etc. However, what if you apply to do a Masters or a Phd - is this still important then or is it more about your research experience?

thanks,

Tim

T

does no one have a clue ?

S

Sorry, I don't know as I've never applied, but a cousin of mine did a masters there and she didn't have any of the above. She was a great student with lots of determination and that's what got her there (her masters was in Economics if it helps)...

M

======= Date Modified 15 Oct 2011 09:04:21 =======
Hi Tim

Thing is when you apply to an American graduate program, (AFAIK) you are basically almost always applying for a funded PhD. (either by RA ship or TA ship). If however you want to an MPhil (Masters), then funding can be scarce. Now, people who apply there normally select a set of e.g. 10 Universities. 3 from the top, 4 from the average and 3 from somewhat low ranked schools (e.g. from US News website). Your GRE General score is one important criteria. Top candidates need a high percentile to get in. But it is not the only criteria. Every department and University is different so extracurricular might also count esp. if you want to go to a top University and suppose all other candidates are equal in terms of academic skills etc. So, your goal would be to go for the highest ranking program for which you get funded (otherwise it might not be hard to get admission on self-paid basis but I don't think that is such a good idea).
If you want to apply for a Masters, things are totally different. I got my Masters from the US but my company paid for my degree (This is another option as most good companies in the US fund your graduate degrees as a means of improving job satisfaction)

Hope this helps, (up)

Cheers

T

======= Date Modified 15 Oct 2011 21:48:43 =======
hey,
thanks for your replys. So I am doing my Mphil in the moment - I would apply for a phd - so would you consider ecs still important than? I could eihter get involved in some of these EC activities or could learn another foreign language (know thwo in the moment) - what would you go for? Phd would be in evolutionary biology !