Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Failed in MSc taught dissertation

G

I have failed in my MSc dissertation, taught course. The Program Leader has said nothing can be done about it and I have to settle for a PG Diploma. Can I take my 120 credits to another university and do my dissertation? I have an average of 61 % in all my modules, having received 120 credits.

Cheers

W

Hi there,

I suspect another university would want you to do the whole MSc again.

Was there a reason why you failed? E.g. poor health, family members ill.
Do you need an MSc for what you want to do next?

You have not failed badly (61% shows capability) so you still have employability with the diploma.
You future plans may have to change in the short term but if there is something you really want to do please don't give up.

Talk again to the Program Leader and see if they know if you can transfer credit.
Try and stay friendly and keen with them even though you obviously must feel sad about this.
If you can get a good reference from them it is a start to using the credits you have acquired.

G

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My failure in my dissertation was due to my adverse health condition. Although the University allowed me to resubmit, I failed again. I am quite passionate in my studies in Computer Science.

I have a BSc in Physics from a University in India. I have quite a number of years of work experience in Software development working in several countries. To get a good job, organizations prefer a Master's candidate. It will be very helpful for my job hunt.

During my studies my health was not good and the University supported me for which I am very grateful. So having come so far I really would like to bring this to a completion by earning my degree. I would like to attempt my dissertation again because I feel I am very capable of doing it.

Your email suggests that it is possible to transfer my credits to another University and complete my studies. I am hoping for that.

Can you please let me know what information I have to request from my University for a credit transfer.

Cheers

G

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My failure in my dissertation was due to my adverse health condition. Although the University allowed me to resubmit, I failed again. I am quite passionate in my studies in Computer Science.

I have a BSc in Physics from a University in India. I have quite a number of years of work experience in Software development working in several countries. To get a good job, organizations prefer a Master's candidate. It will be very helpful for my job hunt.

During my studies my health was not good and the University supported me for which I am very grateful. So having come so far I really would like to bring this to a completion by earning my degree. I would like to attempt my dissertation again because I feel I am very capable of doing it.

Your email suggests that it is possible to transfer my credits to another University and complete my studies. I am hoping for that.

Can you please let me know what information I have to request from my University for a credit transfer.

Cheers

W

Hi again.

Talk to the people who ran your course or the university administration department. Universities vary in how much credit you can transfer (if they do at all). You may need to consider redoing a masters from the start at a different university.
Your health reasons for not passing so far would be accepted as a valid reason to try again at a different place.
You may benefit from starting afresh as well because you could put this fail behind you.

Has your health improved? Will it stay that way?
Having an MSc is good for job applications but you do not want to try and spend too many years trying to get a qualification and not be in a job gaining on the job experience. You mention lots of experience working abroad which is a really good thing in your favour. You also have the problem solving skills a physics degree teaches you as well as your software writing ability: you have lots to say to sell yourself so go for jobs anyway even if they do ask for an MSc.

Have a think about things and don't rush into any decisions.

G

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My health problem is long term. But I am doing well than before which gave me the confidence to redo my dissertation.

I am hoping that by doing my dissertation in another university I will have to spend 3 to 4 months on education. If I take up MSc again I have to spend 1 more year and lot of money on my education. I would like to earn my degree and get back on the job market to make up for lost time and money.

I will speak with my Program Leader to discuss about transfer of credits to another university. Transferring credits will be an ideal solution for me. I hope it works out.

Cheers