Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

girlfriend presents. how can men ammeliorate

M

guys (girls in particular) can you please advise me on how i can improve the way i take care of my girlfriend. i am terrible when it comes to special occasions like her birthday. what kinds of presents kill ladies the most.

H

At the end of the day, it depends on what she is like as a person as we are all different. Generally avoid "useful" household items such as an ironing board or vacuum cleaner.

M

well she is not that choosy and that scares me. i always have it hard to sellect whats best fot ehr. should i assume she will be okey with anything. not an ironing board of course.

A

What hobbies does she have? What kinds of things do you like to do together? Can you snoop around her house to see what stuff she has? My bf and I don't really do presents for bdays: we'll usually go out for a nice meal, but he's taken me on a rollercoaster for my birthday, once, and a few years ago we went to Ireland to see Radiohead for his. It's the planning that goes into it that makes it really special.

I really like practical presents, but I don't think everyone is the same about that (I got a handheld food mixer for Christmas last year, and eco washing balls before that, so I think maybe I'm abnormal).

A

I'd be really embarrassed if he bought me expensive jewellery or something like that. The nicest thing is knowing that he sat down and planned out what I'd like, and that he knows what I like!

J

What a nice guy

I suppose every girl is different. Maybe you could fill a fancy box with all her favourite foods; that would be a nice personal gift.

Or make a photo album of the two of you with some handwritten notes.

H

Or buy diamonds.

Also, did I mention diamonds?

J

You know, I've never understood the fuss over diamonds. I think jewels should be colourful!

H

:-O shocked face

Do you own lots of diamonds Juno?

S

jewelry.

W

Mochemoseo, if you're going to get her diamonds, I'd recommend a simulant...cubic zirconia. You should be able to buy a impressive looking rock of a ring! If she's not too fussy, she'll certainly never tell the difference and she have all the excitement and joy of thinking she owns an extremely expensive diamond. Better still, you'll be quids in, so everyone wins!

M

Thanks guys but the idea of diamonds is outa picture for now. Well she is just a girlfriend and not a wife. What if she we kol it quits and she leaves with a thousand dollar stone. I will have a heart attack.
May be the firs and second thoughts would be rational for the moment. Something practically thrilling. I love the rollercoaster idea. And a fancy box of her fav ordinary stuff. Nt gold treasure. Not that am stngy.

J

H: I own two diamonds, both presents from my mother. They're nice enough, but I don't wear them unless I'm visitng my mother.

I prefer cheap and cheerful stuff!

M

there we go

S

NO ONE should buy diamonds! Don't you know where they come from? "Ooooh look I have a bit of a rock on my finger; no matter that it's sale helped prop up an illegitimate authoritarian government that uses child soldiers, as long as I look pretty that's all that matters". Ridiculous!
My mother got engaged at the New Year and she went for a certified Sapphire (she got a certificate of origin stating it was from Australia) and even though the ring is stunningly beautiful it's all the more so for knowing its provenance.