Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

glasses?

Does anyone know what to clean glasses with?

I had some great little spray stuff that cleaned them really well, but its lost in the pile of notes that engulfs my home office.

The lady at the shop said never use washing up liquid cos it ruins the anti-glare/scratch coating.

*looks at screen through finger-print smudged glasses :-( *

B

I have alcohol-doused tissue things, sort of like the things you get to clean your hands with in an Indian restaurant. I bought a pack of them in my local Sainsburys.

I'm scared to use anything cos of the washing up liquid comment. :-(

J

I've bought the little sprays with special cloths in pound shops in the past. I usually just breathe on mine and clean with my t-shirt.

ah, I'll try the breathing thing

*goes off to find a clean t-shirt, may be some time*

S

I use the little spray stuff you mentioned.

if you work in/near labs, maybe a dab of 70% ethanol might do the trick. Not tried it myself, though.

no I'm working in a very cluttered home office! Does Baileys have ethanol in it? probably shouldn't put it on my glasses, unless I want to be attacked by wasps

S

haha. best not!

S

although, Vodka might do the trick

B

Don't you have a microfiber cloth they usually give with the glasses? Otherwise any clean microfiber. You don't need a detergent, just your breath as Jepson told. As there is antiglare coating on usually t-shirt (cotton) does not work well.
As I'm scared as well wash very rarely but mum washes all the time and tells that she doesn't notice any change.

I do have 2 microfibre cloth thingys - problem is I leave them on my desk and they are covered with spilt tea :$:$:$:$:$

my desk is very messy - clearly more messy than anyone can imagine!

http://www.life2point0.com/WindowsLiveWriter/Thejoyofwallowinginaperfectmess_129B1/MessyDesk28.jpg

E

Did the lady at the shop said something about soap-and-water?
My sister-in-law works in a glasses-shop and says that is one of the best (less damaging) methods

just fairy liquid and water - said it ruins them. Not about soap though.

B

I always go with liquid soap and water, or just breathe on them and give them a wipe.

R

I have been using laptop screen wipes or a glass cloth (the sort you clean mirrors with) to clean mine