Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Job Applications and Depression

B

Quick query ...

If someone has been diagnosed as suffering from depression (i.e. they are taking anti-depressents), do they need to declare this on academic job application forms? ... this usually only features on the 'Equal Opportunities Information' form, where they say: 'Do you have a disability? - Mental Health Condition (such as schizophrenia or depression').

R

Well if the question is directly asked like that then I suppose the answer would be yes! I wouldn't declare it anywhere other than an equal opportunities form though - I think you are not even supposed to refer to your age or gender on your CV nowadays so I would imagine the same goes for any disabilities...

M

No you can withhold it if you want. Although its only an equal opportunities form so should be only used by HR and separated from your application. So I would declare it in this way. People make decisions over your employment, people you work with, your future referees shouldn't see them. So it shouldn't make any difference!

If it was asked anywhere else in an application I would think hard before I declared it even if asked directly. It would depend on the circumstances regarding my current depression, treatment and the likelihood it might interfere with my work. I might ask the advice of my GP before I did too.

H

There is no need to declare it on an equal opps form. That bit shouldn't be seen by the people for whom one would directly work, anyway. In the UK, as I understand it, it is illegal to discriminate against potential employees on the grounds of mental healht issues, so if one did declare it on an equal opps form, it shouldn't affect one's chances.

The only reason I would imagine for volunteering such info on a job application would be if there was a significant period of interruption in one's study/work history caused by it. But indicating 'ill health' might be sufficient in such cases.

One might, when starting a job, be surveyed by occupational health, who may ask about mental health issues. This is a trickier one to decide on, as far as revalation goes. I guess it depends on the extent to which one feels one's mental health issues may or may not affect one's day to day work. Also, it is worth bearing in mind sources of support workplaces can offer employees if they know about health issues.

K

Personally, unless you are asked outright, I would probably steer clear from mentioning it unless it is obvious anyway, e.g. through gaps in employment or numerous hospital admissions etc. I have bipolar and have to declare it because I have lost 4 academic years through periods of ill health and hospital admissions, I have to attend a lot of health-related appointments, and it appears on my CRB check anyway. But it leaves me wide open to discrimination (although I am happy to say it hasn't affected me in this way so far), and even though there are equal opportunities policies in place, I'm not quite sure I trust them fully! And I am sick to death of having to go through extra procedures in my life just because I have this diagnosis. Plus, hopefully, you won't have this diagnosis for life- when you get better with depression you won't be still 'suffering from depression'- your diagnosis will be a part of the past whereas with illnesses such as bipolar/schizophrenia, even when a person is well, they still have the illness and the diagnosis. So in short, I wouldn't lie outright, but I certainly wouldn't make a big deal out of it if it's avoidable. But I am very biased (strangely), so do what you feel is right! Best wishes, KB.