Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Research job - application qs

I need to apply to a research job. I've filled in the application but I have a few qs

1) it has places to sign but the ad says "return the application form to the postal or email address" - I would rather email it, but then I won't be able to sign it! - what do I do!?

2) do I write a covering email/letter - the application has a section about what I'd bring to the role and why I'm suitable etc. so I'd just be copy and pasting. Is it ok just to have a "please find attached" covering letter??

S

I was in a similar situation when I applied for a job. I called them up and they said that if I email it they will just ask me to sign the form when/if they call me in for an interview.

I think it's also fine to just say "please find attached". They will want to print it out and it's just easier to print out a document, then an email.

Hope this helps!

B

Ive never applied for a research job, but generally speaking I've emailed many forms with my name simply typed in the signed section, and it's never caused me any problems. I would say it is okay to have a "please find attached" covering letter so long as you make clear in your email what you're applying for (info you'll repeat in the covering letter) and what's attached, and I would say you need a covering letter of some sort. If the covering letter includes some of the same info as the application form so be it, but not word-for-word.

Just what I think, not an expert or anything.

Best of luck with your application! (up)

Thank you.

I think I'll email the application - if I send it I think it looks crap when it turns up all scuffed from the post. I can then email my CV in shiny pdf format :-)

My covering email will be along the lines of

dear xyz

I would like to apply for job xyz , reference 123, as advertised at xxxxxx.

I have attached an application and cv which provide details concerning my suitability for the post.

Yours faithfully/sincerely (will look this up)

Sneaks (must remember not to put sneaks though)

is that cover letter ok??

What else do you think it needs?

I'm going to send it soon so any feedback would be welcome.

NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE

I've sent it eeek - after about 10 mins hovering over the send button - so don't want anyone to stress me out at this stage!

B

I would've cleared up that faithfully/sincerely had I read it sooner. Oh well, I'm sure it's fine (up)

S

Quote From sneaks:

Yours faithfully/sincerely (will look this up)

Sneaks (must remember not to put sneaks though)

Wait wait wait, your name isn't Sneaks?!

You, Madame, have lied to us.

On another, not entirely positive note, I think what you've done is fine and is something I did all the time when I was unemployed. However, I stayed unemployed for a long time, so maybe my advice ain't the best.

well I applied, I made sure I attached my CV too - which so far has got me through to interview for every job I've applied for. (I think they meet me and then think, oh dear, the cv was better!). I added a bit to the covering letter and think its ok - as its being sent to a jobs@university address. My 'statement of why I'm amazing' was basically my cover letter anyway, so would have looked silly to copy and paste bits IMO. I very much doubt my sup will let me have the job if I got it anwyay, as they want it to start 2 weeks before my stipend finishes and I foresee her being difficult about it.

I looked at speakspeak.com to work out the yours faithfully/sincerely (i have to do this for every letter I write!)

And no my name is not sneaks :-( *walks away in shame*