Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

"Tolerance" - or celebration?

J

The recent scandal over the BB racism row has made me think (for once). The word that keeps coming up is "tolerance"; we should "tolerate" other cultures, differences, beliefs. But to me the word "tolerate" implies that the thing being "tolerated" is something bad; I tolerate the pissing rain cos I can't stop it, for example. And I was once told by a religious colleague that she tolerated my atheism. Is this just me misunderstanding the word?

I think we should celebrate and welcome other cultures, differences and beliefs, not just "tolerate" them. "Tolerance" sounds patronsing, and even a little racist, to me.

S

I agree 100%

J

Thanks Scamp!

A

I agree as well. We should not just tolerate but also welcome other beliefs, cultures etc.- however, only if it's a two-way process and the other side also accepts our heritage.

Nevertheless, I think the word tolerate is patronising, as you said.

I

The trouble is, if you have strong beliefs, then 'welcoming' or 'celebrating' other faiths is a conflict of interests. I think that's why the word tolerate is used, meaning that it isn't negatively responded to but neither can it be fully accepted.

D

I have a strong Christian faith, but I think we should learn to celebrate other religions and cultures, even if we can never adopt them ourselves.

At the same time I dont think that we should ever become complacent. I think its really important to have intellectual debates e.g. about the role of women in different religions (including Christianity!!) and how we can have a positive multifaith community.

I

Personally, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be fascinated by other people's cultures, cutoms, traditions etc. But to 'celebrate' someone else's religion??! Respect - YES. But by trying to celebrate something you don't really understand or buy into, if you like, is just playing at it and so not really being fully respectful. Does that make sense? I enjoy finding out about other customs but wouldn't dream of picking and choosing religious festivals to celebrate! Like non-christians and Christmas...

J

Well, I'd be delighted to never have to celebrate Christmas again, but I'm sure you already know that the 25th of December has about as much to do with Christianity as I have to do with Japanese politics.

But as far as welcoming other religions goes; I can't speak myself because I have no religion. But I can understand that if you have a firm belief in one religion it may be impossible to genuinely welcome another. But I think it would be healthy to try to welcome the challenge to your beliefs - I think to say thay you "tolerate" them implies that you are sure that they are wrong; which in matters like religion, (that are of neccessity purely faith-based, not logic or reason based), is impossible to say.

H

How christian is christmas these days? I reckon quite a few children wouldn't even know the true meaning (even though christian) and would probably say, it's when father xmas comes down the chimney to bring me presents.

We celebrated christmas when me and my brother were younger. Both of us believed in father xmas (until I found out he didn't exist and told him - my parents were very cross with me). We both knew the nativity story, in fact my brother went to a catholic school for a few years and was very intersted in "Jesus".

The fact is, we are hindus but that didn't stop my parents from letting us celebrate christmas, like the rest of our friends. Or even stop our interests in other religions. My mum actually prayed in Churches when we were on holiday. I guess that true Hinduism, which is more a way of life than a religion, says we should not judge people because they are different and this is the way I try to live my life.

H

However I get really really angry when people try to shove "their" religion down your throat and insist that theirs is more correct than yours. I'm also getting really annoyed with particular religions wanting their own rules etc. Everyone is equal, what makes them so special in the eyes of God?

I think I could rant about this all day but I have more important things to do like the washing

D

Insomniac, I didnt mean 'celebrate' in terms of taking part in religious celebrations, I meant celebrate as in 'celebrate diversity'. It certainly has more positive overtones than 'tolerate'.

H, I agree, I hate it when people try and shove their religion down your throat. i particularly hate it when fundamentalist Christians stop me on the street and try and 'convert' me, despite the fact I go to church about five times a week!! (Btw I sing in a cathedral choir, hence excessive church going!)

J

DJWicked: do you think that all people of belief are worshipping the same entity, but intepreting it according to their culture or background? A few Christians have told me that this is how they view other religions, and it seems a good approach to me. But other people say that this is a cop-out. I'm not sure.

D

Juno, that is basically what I believe. I think there are aspects of'truth' in almost all religions, that we are all trying to reach the same thing, but through different chanels. Christianity just works for me. I dont understand how one religion can claim to have it right over all the others, especially as religions are so interelated with society (i.e. human construction). I dont think its necessarily a 'cop-out' solution - I did a theology degree and considered lots of opinions before arriving at this conclusion!

H

DJ, I know what you mean. In my UG, there was a morman church across the road and they would always try and convert us. I've scared away a few mormans myself.

S

I can't stand people who feel the need to convert you to the point they start to pressurise you. A family of CoE were trying to convert me at Xmas and were very unhappy to discover I was Catholic (albeit lapsed!)