Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

vegetarian question....how do you get enough calories...

C

I have been vegetarian for about three weeks now, but I'm finding it hard to eat enough calories in a day. I mean - I never go to bed hungry but I suppose fibre is very filling, and sometimes gives a false sense of having met calorific needs. My clothes are a bit looser - but I don't have much room to loose weight so want to make sure I am getting enough. Any vegetarians or anybody else know of calorific non meat foods? (minus the obvious cakes and sweets!!!)

R

eggs (omelette, scrambled etc etc), chick peas, vegetarian curries, soya chunks, quorn, baked beans, fruit topped with yoghurt and cereal, veggie casseroles, veggie stir frys........

C

I'm liking your suggestions! Thanks. I'll add more to everything, and move away from veg and noodles or pasta! I like the idea of topping cereal with fruit and yoghurt!

I am not vegetarian but I cook a lot of vegetable-only meals. Lentils are quite good for replacing meat with, and they taste great with tomatoes and rice. They don't require soaking over-night in the water like beans and chick-peas. Do you want a recipe?

R

Hmm chick peas you can buy ready-soaked in a can.

Cook them after sauteeing onions and spices and mustard seeds, then add a can of tomato puree.

Heres one I made earlier.....

My flatmate does the fruityogcereal thing. She cuts up some apple/pear/banana, top with yog, top with granola....et voila.

Google veggie recipes.

for some reason, I can smell the tin on canned vegetables. They are great for emergency dinner parties though

C

Yes to the lentil recipe!

Chickpeas are my new friend...especially with tomatoes...

I have started to google more recipes. I have a butternut squash sitting in the fridge. I'll do something with that later...

R

Enjoy.

H

I get way too many calories and I'm a veggie.

Oh well.

C

Hmmm, maybe I'm just loosing the first 'no more meat' lbs in the same way that smokers put on weight after giving up.....

T

Chocolate, crisps and biscuits.. lots of calories in them hehe

Lentils recipe:

1 large onion (red or spanish)
3 large tomatoes (or 1 big tin)
200 gram green lentils (lentilles vertes if possible)
3-4 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Fresh parsley (handful)
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt and pepper to season
pinch of oregano
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 pint of water (a bit more if you use fresh tomatoes)

Cut the onions into small cubes and fry gently in medium heat olive oil until pink (not gold or burned). Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar, cook for a minute or two then add the lentils. Stir-cook for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, and water The water should cover the lentils. Cook for 35-40 minutes on gentle heat. Once cooked, let it rest for 10 minutes, and add the lemon juice and parsley and serve (can also be eaten as a cold meze after keepin in the fridge for 2 hours)

Courgette Fritters

2 medium-size courgettes
3 eggs
3-4 spring onions
Fresh mint (handful)
60 ml single cream
1/2 cup Finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup white flour (can be increased if the mixture is too wet)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or pimento allspice according to preference
Salt, pepper for seasoning
Vegetable Oil for frying.

Grate the courgette with the large side of the cheese grater. Add chopped onions and mint. Add the eggs and stir until the eggs are beaten. Then add the rest of the ingredients to this mixture and stir well. The mixture should feel wet but not watery. If it is watery, you can add more flour. Heat the oil in a wide pan on medium heat. With a round spoon pour the mixture into the hot oil, they will form individual fritters. Cook each side until they are brown. Place them on kitchen towel to get rid off the excess oil for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Tip for courgette fritters: Warm fritters can be served with garlic yoghurt; but alternatively they can be eaten cold with a bit of lemon-juice squeezed on them.

C

Thanks Tricky! lol!

404. What a star! I've printed them out for future use! Thanks.